Photographer: C.C. Farr
Teme-Augama Anishnabai Camp
A rare, pre-1900 photo of a Temagami First Nation camp, believed to be taken in the Lady Evelyn Lake area about 1890.
Three families are drying and smoking meat in the fall for the winter. The smoking tepee is sided with rush maps. A moose head is lying inside.
In the foreground, the animal heads are either woodland caribou or year-old moose.
The men (left to right): Michelle Katt, Mishay-nis Katt (possibly holding a HBC muzzle-loader), John Paul.
John Paul, who was chief at the time, is wearing a ceremonial head-dress.
The photo hung for decades in the A.B. Gordon Lumber Company office in Latchford. The mill closed in the late 1950s and today, the photo remains close by in the House of Memories museum. The photographer Charles Cobbold Farr was the founder of Haileybury.
Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect.
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice.
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages.
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk.
It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright © 2000-2014 Brian Back. All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.