Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami environment * Acid Rain? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rainbird

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've seen reference on maps and in discussions elsewhere (Killarney) about acid rain being the cause of the acidification of lakes in this region. Consider this: that nearly all of all of the so-called "windex" lakes are underlain by a rock type known as quartz arenite - a very white sandstone made entirely of quartz sand grains. Such rocks are quite acidic to start with and thus have no buffering capacity, so waters flowing through and over them remain acidic. For those interested, the white rock in Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater area and Killarney is known as the Lorrain Formation (Maple Mtn, and Ishpatina Ridge are made of it). A set of very good geology maps of the Temagami region was published in 1973 by the Ontario Division of Mines "Geology of the Maple Mountain area" by K.D. Card, W.H McIlwaine and H.D. Meyn; Geological Report 106, 133 p., including 5 coloured maps. Likely out of print now but I'm sure one could get a copy from a university library or the Ontario Geological Survey, in Sudbury.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1847

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is this rock also called quartzite?
 Link to this message

rainbird

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, but to a geologist, quartzite is the metamorphic (recrystallized) equivalent of a quartz arenite. The Lorrain Formation in Killarney is more of a quartzite whereas the Lorrain Formation in Temagami is still a sandstone (less affected by heat and pressure). These rocks are about 2.3 billion years old!
 Link to this message

rainbird
Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 8, 2018 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

For your information. The geology report with maps, mentioned in my previous posting can now be downloaded at no cost from this web address: http://www.geologyontario.mndm.gov.on.ca/mndmfiles /pub/data/imaging/R106//r106.pdf. Same goes for any geology maps of the Temagami region. Maps and reports were done by township so simple Google "township name" and "Geology" and you will get a PDF with the report and its accompanying map(s)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home