Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami environment * The Ministry defies logic! < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pickeralninja

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Back up to the bald rock on Willow Island lake this spring and thought I'd get out of my boat and reminisce. I hadn't tented willow island lake in two years as I'd begun camping on the big lake, Lady Evelyn. As I mentioned here in previous posts I had built a thunder box similiar to one described in these forums from a half barrel with a nice kohler elongated seat. I figured it was the least I could do as I camped the island once or twice a year. The LEOUA box had years before rotted and was never replaced. I mentioned to the junior ranger 2 years ago as he checked to make sure we had paid our park pass on willow island that I had put a new box in the ground at my own expence. He said as long as it met the ministry standard fine but he only checked our passes then left. We laughed about the ministry standard for the rest of the night. A few days later a whole troop of canoeing boy scouts from pennsylvania invaded our tiny island to get out of a lightning storm. We told them sure set up camp lots of room. There was probably 30 boys. Imagine the mess if we all had to adhere to the ministy standard which was and had been completly non existant. except for checking my pass of course. Long story short is that when I got out to have a look this spring I thought I might sit a while but to my surprise I guess my barrel box with rope handles on each side so it could easily be pulled and moved didn't meet the ministry standard. Someone pulled it, removed it and left the island just as it always had been with absolutely nothing but a lot of space for passers to squat and leave there mess right in the middle of a trail. I'm afraid to see the bald rock the next time the boy scouts visit. For that matter anybody experiencing an emergency stop. What exactly do we pay 10 bucks a night for!! I just can't understand how these people who work right in the industry can just not bother to put a box on that island. I don't understand this mentality! Who else would have bothered to pull it and worse load it out of there. Is my thinking flawed. I would be happy for someone to help me understand.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 377

Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

pickeralninja,
There have been many of the barrel thunder boxes place in several lake in the Temagami area and the MNR Parks have not removed them. I do not think they would do that without replacing it with one of their own but it is possible. It could have been removed by a Fisher-person, another canoeist or a cottager. As a member of the Friends of Temagami we thank you for the effort and your consideration. Yes the MNR park have not done much in the way of placing t-boxes the the different park areas as they should but the government has them on a tight budget. Yes I hate to pay my fee and see that there are few if any improvements around. I wish they would do more.

Bill
 Link to this message

alscool
Post Number: 185

Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bill, I would suggest that the barrel type crappers you are referring to are outside of Park Jurisdiction and also not covered in lasts years Crown Land Maintenance Program.

While I can't say for sure who removed the barrel (perhaps it was a big wind) it is very likely that it did not meet this Park standard and was removed as garbage. I know of a few individuals who are keen on placing Tboxes in low maintained Crown Land areas but know of no one who is keen on removing them.

I can certainly see the pickeralninja's frustration

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home