Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami environment * Friends of Temagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 236

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone

We need your help.
The struggle to preserve Temagami continues.

Friends of Temagami was originally founded in 1995 and amalgamated with Friends of Chiniguchi and Nastawgan Network in 2007 to form a single voice for the Temagami Region.

FOT is similar to other 'Friends' groups that are dedicated to the preservation of unique regions of interest across our Province. FOT provides the legal framework to shape our group as per our member's direction. Our area of concern is the greater Temagami district that is synonymous with back country wilderness recreation. This spans from the Chiniguchi Watershed east to the Ottawa River on the Temiskaming Shores, From the Makobe and Montreal Rivers in the north, south to Martin, Temagami and Sturgeon Rivers.

As is the case with any Non- Profit Organization, FOT relies on volunteers, not only for group projects but also to attend ongoing commitments to the various initiatives and committees.

Your help would certainly be appreciated.
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/members hip

When you become a member of FOT you also get a cool FOT sticker for your canoe and an FOT patch.

thanks
Kim

Check out our web site here
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/overview
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 89

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good stuff K!

As mentioned elsewhere, we (FOT) need to make sure that all portages, campsites, trails, historical sites, viewpoints and other areas/points of interest make it into the MNR's database so they afforded Area of Concern Protection (weak though it may be).

The areas within the Sudbury Forest (Temagami West) are the priority at the moment as that FMP evolves.

Perhaps that hide-away only a few know about is covered, perhaps not - lets be sure. We will respect all confidentiality requests. Any info that anyone might provide would be much appreciated!

Contact info: http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/contact
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preacher wrote;

quote:

Hey Chris! What can I do to help you? You folks over at FoT do good work and are organised, up-front and public.

Sure I do things every time I trip, clean up, monitor, report back to the appropriate groups on what needs work, but if there's something I could do that would help FoT I'd be happy to include them as well. After all, what I do privately isn't recorded anywhere for all to benefit from. We're all working towards a common goal here, right? Even something as simple as an email helps communication between those organising & in the public eye & the rest of us.

All the quiet work of countless individuals hasn't really done much to preserve, has it. Clearly we need a more organised front to represent us to the powers that be. A bunch of individuals are often (deservedly or not) ignored as crackpots by those powers. That's where FoT comes in! Those same individuals suddenly have a larger voice and are able to appeal to the powers in a much more meaningful way.

Next year I'm going up Chini & down Sturgeon. Want waypoints? Any info in particular?

Always happy to help in any way I can. I'm not in this for personal recognition of the decades of the work I've done, that's just not me man. I'm in this for my own self satisfaction & for future generations.

Thanks Preacher!
Keep doing what your doing and let us know of your efforts so we can get the word out and keep our content fresh.

Been off the beaten track?
Found any evidence of old trails or campsites?
Have you hiked any look-outs?
Any places "speak" to you?
Stories, encounters, really cool places?
What news from the front?

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated - GPS waypoints and tracks would be ideal!

Thanks again!

As you know, the FOT has made it a part of its core mandate to work with all stakeholders within the established processes. We are by definition not extreme, radical or militant - we are Friends.

The issue that some of us as individuals might have different opinions of the processes and related works occurring on The Land does not detract from us as a group. (We would be weak, boring and ineffective if we always saw eye-to-eye on everthing) Rather, our internal diologues serve to strengthen our position(s) as we seek commonality within and thus provide a strong voice when putting our concerns foreward.

This process is serving us well as we have been respectfully recieved by the MNR and relavent Forestry Groups. We will persue these relationships with reciprocal respect and do our best for the betterment of The Land and all of those who work, play and walk upon it.

Meegwitch
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wildchild wrote:

quote:

What can I do to help Chris and Mike? What can Ottertooth and OAC members do? I can't get up to Temagami this year however there is next summer. Are their routes you need explored? Can we get GPS coordinates for the FoT? Bryan (hubby) has a GPS with Topo Canada if that helps. Are there other things that need done?

I've put the FoT banner (thanks for the graphic Tripper) on the Canoeing page of my site... it's too small of a thing... so what else can Bryan and I do to help?

Thanks for the pub WC - awesome!

Please see the above post and let us know of any other ideas you might have. We are always looking for input. Different angles and perspectivies have a way of fostering diologue - sometimes this leads to actions, sometimes not. But the process in itself is in many ways productive.

Cheers!
 Link to this message

wild_child

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for this Chris.... much appreciated. As soon as I get back from my next trip (I have a work thing going on) I'll start off by becoming a paid FoT member.

Question - is the Chiniguchi area included in the information seeking or has Micmac pretty much covered most of that? Just thought I'd ask because we plan to go up there again too.

Is there anything about the FoT that you would like me to post on Outdoor Adventure Canada that would be of help?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 177

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Collecting waypoints, finding lost routes, cleaning campsites. Good stuff and everyone should be doing it.

What FOT needs most is people to be involved in the day to day admin and advocacy work. First off, join. It doesn't cost much, you get a funky sticker and patch, and a letter from Kim. What could be better!

After that, you can join one of our committees. There's something for everyone! There's the Forestry Committee, which is involved in reading and commenting on draft forest management plans, then observing their implementation. You don't need to be a forester to be on the FC (but it helps). There's the Program Committee, which deals with canoe routes, maintenance, mapping, etc. There's a few 'regional' committees, Chiniguchi, Obabika, and North Temagami. If there's an area you're interested in, which has unique issues and is not represented, you could start a committee (Marten River/Temagami South, anyone?) Then there's our organizational committees. Some think them less sexy, but they provide the structure and support necessary for the FOT to function. They include Membership (drives, record keeping), Communications (newsletter, internet forum, webpage, teleconferencing), Liaison (strategy with other environmental organizations), and Finance. Last but not least is the Board of Directors, 15 people who oversee the FOT, and the Executive Committee (the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer).

Committee work is where FOT's real work is accomplished. It's where we identify issues to focus on. It's where we collaboratively write letters to government and industry. It's where we figure out how to get more paid members. It's where we write updates for the webpage and the newsletter.

So if you want to help FOT, ask yourself what interests you or what special skill you have. Still not sure? Just ask, and we'll find something for you to do. Jump in and enjoy the ride!

(Message edited by curly on July 30, 2009)
 Link to this message

wild_child

Post Number: 26

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know if a letter from Kim (assuming you mean HeavyK) is a good incentive for me to sign up... lol... maybe a deterrent. Sorry Kim but I couldn't resist teasing you.

I'd be most suited to communications being a writer and graphic/web designer. I was co-chair on the fundraising comittee at the Big Sisters in Wellington County so I have some experince there. Only thing is I can't get to meetings in person (still don't know how to drive - this is where you get to tease me now).

Right now Chiniguchi is the only area that I have travelled in. So I can start off helping out there.

I'm taking off soon and I should be back around the 11th... so I'll get my membership and such in order then.

Thanks for all the info guys (and the warning about Kim's letter - lol).

It always surprises me when I hear of people needing to take garbage out of an area. I guess I just assume everyone is like we are and packs out whatever is found.

(Message edited by wild_child on July 31, 2009)
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 240

Posted on Monday, August 3, 2009 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

wild child

We could certainly use your help.
Your letter may even contain some fresh sage from my garden?
 Link to this message

alscool
Post Number: 197

Posted on Friday, August 7, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown, I welcome your comments on the convictions of the Friends of Temagami here in this thread. I will do my best to address your concerns.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home