Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami environment * One of the last wild rivers - question < Previous Next >

Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While I'm tickled pink that the bridge over the Sturgeon got shot down, I'm confused about this recurring statement.

"One of the last wild rivers in central Ontario."

What does that mean? What does it mean to be a wild river? There's already a bridge further down (?), so it can't mean No Bridges.
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I doubt there is a crisp definition for it. But I could agree with such a description for the Sturgeon: most rivers of any substance have dams that will control how much water flows at a given time. The Sturgeon's flow is natural, until a dam before it flows into L Nipissing.

The Spanish's flow - in comparison - is not natural. It has a dam leaving Bisco Lake, and the controlled flow coming from Onaping L and even the Agnes Creek has a dam at its top.
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

To me a wild river is a river that hasn't had its flow restricted by a hydroelectric dam but the Sturgeon has a dam by Crystal Falls. Good question.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 707

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Upper Sturgeon River that we usually canoe is dam free and pretty wild in places in spite of the bridge at Lower Goose.
Once you get down to Cowboy La Belle's, it is less wild with people living along it.
 Link to this message

brian
Post Number: 1135

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wrote that with, as Erhard says, dams in mind. It flows free.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home