Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami environment * Illegal logging in Lake Temagami skyline? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1179

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does this look like illegal logging in the Skyline Reserve of Lake Temagami?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8YHTCR9m7E&feature =channel
 Link to this message

oshkabewis

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No, it doesn't. Looks to me like some people making a living from the land.

I find it strange that someone non Indiginous to Lake Temagami would feel that they need to police what the Natives are doing? Don't you?
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Will check it out from home.
Not impressed with the above response though. That attitude cuts both ways. The land is the concern, not the people.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 235

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Posting on U tube is about the only dumb thing I can see here. Cottagers cut more trees per year than these lads I bet...

I know my property is missing a good number of big cedars.. and also know which islands dock cribs they became!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1181

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No one said, or wrote, that they were "Natives." Only you did, Oshkabewis.

As Irish mentions, both indigenous and non- do it, and it is common knowledge. But no one talks about it.

If these are indigenous people, and this is the Skyline Reserve (two big if's to be answered), isn't this an opportunity to shed some light on the indigenous position, not darken the issue?
 Link to this message

tripper_dave

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This video shows just one tree getting hauled off the shore of Lake Temagami. I wonder if there were more boated away that we didn't see.

One person can be heard saying "giver sh*t this one." That sorta implies to me that they've done this before.

As for the people being native or not, it makes no difference to me.

I know logging is a necessary. We all use wood in one way or another. But logging doesn't have to happen on the shores of Lake Temagami.
 Link to this message

lorrain

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As Irishfield pointed out this activity is most certainly carried out by both communities. The fact being when non natives need timber they look to thier native neibours and put in the order. Is this wrong, I ask you ?
The true shame is to see the amount of timber maturing and dying in the skyline that could be select , and most impotantly non intrusivly harvested. Not only utilizing a valuable resource that would in all likelyhood fall and damage considerable more timber than harvesting, but hopefully keeping alive a vanishing traditon of hand hewn log cabins. Far to much "nouveau" these days.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"
The fact being when non natives need timber they look to thier native neibours and put in the order. Is this wrong, I ask you ?
"
What's wrong imo is a system where race means anything.
I'd much rather people look to their neighbour than to their native/black/white/yellow neighbour.
Not interested in this social/political discussion in this thread or venue beyond what has been said.

"
The true shame is to see the amount of timber maturing and dying in the skyline that could be select , and most impotantly non intrusivly harvested.
"
Every removal of biomass is intrusive. It took thousands of years to create the foundation that can support these trees. We've seen from other areas around the world that the bulk of this biomass is contained in the forests. Remove the trees and you remove the lands ability to recover from that tree's death. If that tree dies and rots where it lands, it's nourishing the next generation.

Not every tree is timber. Even those that would make perfect timber. Some trees deserve to be left alone.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 243

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No idea if this is private or Crown land.

Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 167

Posted on Sunday, May 2, 2010 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very well put Preacher.
 Link to this message

scooby_dooby
Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looks like a couple of guys collecting a log (maybe even a few) too build a home, dock or make a living.

Some of the comments sound like a bit of NIMBYism going on here. This is a bit ironic, as the issue here seems to be only about what people can see from the video (or from their cottage, canoe, fishing boat, etc.) ….What isn’t seen by most is what causes me more worry…. there are many places in the Temagami area where you can walk just a ways back in the bush from a lake or river to run into a massive clear cut area or where herbicides have been sprayed and so on and so on. The activities in this video are leaving far less of an ecological footprint on the area’s forests than the large-scale industrial forestry that is going on (probably 50-100 feet back from this location). Take a plane ride over the forests of lake Temagami and you will see the large clear cut areas and winding logging roads that dissect and damage the forests.

What’s the saying? “There are bigger fish to fry”. If anyone wants to complain about unsustainable forestry operations that could be damaging the lakes and forests of Temagami, then I suggest you leave these couple of guys off the radar (the little fish) and go after government and industry that are the real culprits of any environmental damage (the bigger fish).

Re: Possible ‘illegal’ logging - I would also like to note: it is not clear whether or not the people in the video are Native or not…BUT just a reminder that if they are Native, there are Aboriginal and treaty rights involved here that allow harvesting of resources from Aboriginal traditional lands in this area (n’ Daki Menan). Any non-Native that might have a problem with that should simply remember the fact that the Teme Augama Anishnabai were here long before any cottaging, canoeing, industry or settlement in the area and have had to deal with many harmful environmental, social, economic impacts caused to the lands and cultures due to these non-Aboriginal activities (and still are to present day). The Teme Augama Anishnabai have the inherent right to harvest and make use the lands in the area in a sustainable way and until someone can point out to me how the activities in this video are unsustainable activities in comparison to what the forestry industry and government are doing I don’t have a problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home