Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami environment * Have you heard logging noise? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 380

Posted on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have you ever heard logging while in Temagami? Can you provide details? When (year, month, time of day)? Where (what lake, what campsite)?

I'm asking because I am helping the Friends of Temagami prepare a submission for Phase 2 Forest Management Planning. The forester said that if we are to request changes to the timing of forestry operations, then details would be helpful. What areas are most problematic and when?

Furthermore, did your experience with logging noise detract from your experience? Would you avoid that lake in the future? Would you avoid Temagami in the future?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1483

Posted on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hope you get lots of feedback. An excellent survey to do.
Folks should be careful not to confuse mining exploration with logging as it is easy to do. Exploration involves long periods of bore-hole drilling from a stationary rig. There is the steady noise of an engine (as a generator would do) especially if it continues into, or through, the night. Logging noise is usually irregular as various kinds of equipment move around. It, too, can be at night.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 381

Posted on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 - 2:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Feel free to contact me privately, as well.
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 6:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not in Temagami, but north of Elliott Lake maybe 10 years ago. On Monday morning, we had the noise of heavy machinery from "over the hill" and decided to pack up and go home. It wasn't worth staying any longer on that pretty lake...
 Link to this message

grncnu
Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, October 5, 2012 - 1:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last year we did a trip largely on the Sturgeon River in late August. On the way back from Twin Falls up to Gervais Landing there was continuous chainsaw noise, big machinery etc. from the west side of the river, dawn to dusk, which was uncomfortably close at times, but even when faint was constantly there like a nagging irritant that puts your nerves constantly on edge...
It totally destroyed any feeling of a wilderness experience.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home