Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through August 10, 2005 * I Know A Place < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was fortunate this June to be able to canoe into Obabika. These thoughts have been scurrying around in my head since then and I thought I would write them down and post them here. Now, I am certainly not a poet and not a writer so I do want any criticism about grammar, spelling etc. Take it for what it is. Maybe add a line or two. Thanks

I Know a Place

I know a place, that when I am not there, continually calls my name.

I know a place, that when I am not there, everyday, I plan my return.

I know a place, that today, remains much the same as the Creator intended.

I know a place, where very few like it, exist in this world today.

I know a place, that was sacred to early man. A place, where he went to connect with his Creator. A place, where he went for spiritual guidance and reflection. A place, that he has used for 100ís of years.

I know a place, where I as modern man, can go. A place, I can go to connect with my Creator. A place, I can go to reflect upon my past, present and future life. A place, I can go for spiritual guidance. A place, I can go to feel connected with early man.

I know a place, where the saw has not been used. A place, as when first seen by European man, is much the same. A place, where the forest has been left alone, untouched by modern man. A place, where the white and red pines can boast, that they are the largest, tallest and oldest. A place, where the trees, can live a natural life. A place, where the trees, can die a natural death.

I know a place, where the closer I get with every paddle stroke, my modern world worries become more distant. A place, where my spirit lifts and starts to renew. A place, where my attitude changes and improves for the better.

I now a place, when I sit quietly, all I will hear is a soft breeze on the pines, water lapping gently on the shore, song birds singing and the loonís soulful cry. A place, where the suns warms my face and soul. A place, where the air smells fresh and clean, scented with pine. A place, where I am amazed by the stars dancing in the night sky. A place, where there are quiet sounds, serenity and peace. A place, I can meet Mother Nature at her best.

I now a place, where I have sat afraid, listening to the thunder crash so loud and close. A place, where I have watched the lightning illuminate the sky and prayed it did not strike close. A place, where the wind stirs the calm water, making it dangerous and forbidden. A place, where the wind howls as it inflicts its damage upon the pines. A place, that has soaked me through and through with raindrops so thick I could barely see. A place, where I have been chilled to the bone. A place, I can meet Mother Nature at her worst.

I know a place, where my actions and decisions have direct consequences upon my comfort, well being and possibly my survival. A place, that no matter what your station or lot in life is, does not recognize it. A place, that no matter who you are, what you are, how rich you are or how poor you are, does not care. A place, that does not favour nor discriminate against man or animal. A place, where all are treated equal.

I know a place, where the animals call home. A place, I can go and be fortunate enough to observe them. A place, where the animals, live and die as the Creator intended. A place, where the animals, now depend upon modern man for protection and survival.

I know a place, where simple food and fare taste better. A place, where friendships and relationships are more appreciated. A place, where trust, integrity, honesty and hospitality are the measure of the man. A place, where I am more grateful for the simpler of lifeís pleasures.

I know a place, where modern technology is not required, except in its destruction. A place, where I can go and leave todayís technology behind. A place, I can go, to escape cell phones, televisions, radios, ATVs, personnel watercraft and heavy equipment and hopefully not encounter them. A place, where early manís technology, still serves me well.

I know a place, that when leaving, with every paddle stroke, this place gets stored in my memory. A memory that is warm, comforting and fond for me. A memory I wish to cherish for my lifetime. A place, that when leaving, I feel saddened but also so grateful for its existence. A place, that when leaving, I anticipate seeing my loved ones.

I know a place, where some modern men view it in a different light. A place, that they only see as a resource to be consumed. A place, where they see the forest and trees as dollars. A place, they do not respect. A place, where itsí legacy, heritage and cultural importance to others, falls upon their deaf ears. A place, where itsí significant value to the world, they do not recognize. A place, that they will scar and forever change, if allowed to.

I know a place, where there is a Protector. A place, where past generations of his family have lived, have loved, have laughed, have cried, have died and have walked before him. A place, his ancestral land, that is rooted deeply in his soul and being. A place, where he and family now live, resolving to see it kept as he first saw it and as his ancestors first saw it. A place, where he strives to educate modern man into the benefits of leaving this cathedral as it is. A place, that left as is, will be enjoyed by the generations that follow. A place, that once the Protector is gone, I wonder if it will survive.

I know a place, that is first and foremost, the Old Growth Forest of Obabika. A place, that is also, much more than Obabika. A place, that early man called Nastawgan. A place, that modern man calls Temagami. A place, that is also, everywhere I have paddled and everyplace I dream of paddling.

I know a place, that when I am not there, continually calls my name.

RST
 Link to this message

kanutripper

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I enjoyed your poem. Thanks for sharing it.
 Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Kanutripper
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 127

Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

kahuna:
That is enlightening and inspirational.
The old guy who lives up there is coming my way in a few weeks, so with your permission, I will make a copy of your poem and present it to him on your behalf.
I am sure he will enjoy reading it as much I have.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Regards
Ed.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 103

Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

rt_kahuna,
I too enjoyed your poem. Many if not all of us that know the aea feel the same way you do. I know I do and that is why I have gone there for many years. By the way, The old guy that lives up there is around the same age as Ed and I. I do not feel old eventhough I think Ed may.
Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on November 5, 2004)

(Message edited by hillbilly on November 5, 2004)
 Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed, I am glad you liked it. Especially, since you have tripped Temagami extensively. You have my permission to print it - as do all others. The more people that read it the better and hopefully it will convey why we treasure this place.

Is Alex coming down for more talks? If he is, I would like to know when it is, as I would like to say Hi to him again. In June, I shared a day with Alex and enjoyed it very much. If not, say Hi to him for me. He wonít remember me as the Kahuna but rather Rick and the group from Ingersoll and I was able to help him out with the flat tire on his van.

RST
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 104

Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,
Let me know when the old guy is coming down.
You know my e-mail or PM me.
Bill
 Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Hillbilly, I have followed both your and Ed's posts and know your attachment to Temagami. By the way, I was the guy who had originally signed up to do your July trip but had to back out due to scheduling problems. Did you ever post your trip report? Did I miss It?
RST
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 128

Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am still working on the Central Ontario part of his tour, so I need a few more days before I finish the arrangements. I am waiting for people to get back to me with times and room locations. Then I will ask Brian to help us advertise it.
Ed.
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, November 6, 2004 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"An Area Animals Dub Ther Dwellen "

Wildlife need food, clean water, much cover & space in ther habitat to Bear tha harsh
surrounden place wher they dwell-in.
These here basic essentials R vital fer survival
& must be very near each other, in close proximity, fer direct approach.
Food can't be to far-away from cover or hungry animals be-cum food fer roamen predators.
Beavers, eagles, moose & otters need clean pristine lake & river water to live.
Wildlife need a cover place to escape/or hide from hunters, trappers, predators & from
tha changen elements of bad weather.
Wildlife also need space to grow-up, play, find food & to mate. Sum only need a few feet of place space, others need #s of square miles to exist.
Tha region that wildlife travels to find ther
essential equipment is inherent in ther
"home range territories".
'Tis ther home place, that has out-standen conditions that supports animal wildlife
to live, grow, which may roam, wild & free.
Tha untamed wild R will'en to share ther dwellen place with us, canoe paddlers, as long as we're,
just moven-thru.

"Tis "I Know a Place" poem by rt kahuna,
shows & tells why we-all must take care of
wildlife populations & habitat thats left &
most has already been picked-over.
Mother Earth must be spared of any more
damage/or loss to wildlife habitat!
How much space do we need to grow, Heya?

Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 6, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, if you could post the itinerary over at CCR on the "Events" forum, I think a lot of people would appreciate it. :-)

Barbara
 Link to this message

brooke

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great poem it really concludes why I love this place so much. Thank you, BK.
 Link to this message

wilderneswalker

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you Rick. I was deeply enfolded by the love and peace your writing brought up in me with memories and longings to return to this beautiful area. Thank you so much. Just beautiful!
 Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brooke & Wilderneswalker
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Chart A Virgin Course By Canoe"

To paddle Canada's interior sur be a venture
back to tha past. Tha by-gone-way of undiscovered
main water-way/high-way systems can be rediscovered by those canoest who's quest to move
into tha realm of NE wilds. Tha wander-lust of
hardfool explorers taste fer adventure, by
"roughen it", journey into wide open remote
wilderness areas by-way of quiet water canoes.
To journey by moven tha canoe in water travel is
passen over/or coveren hundreds of unspoiled water course routes joined & united together by rock swamp forest portage path trails.
To access unaltered outof-tha way isolation fer tha 1st time, canoe portager may hav to take-on half dozen or more bug infested rough muddled bush pathway trails to connect with virgin beauty of solitude. To pick a water course route & see
tha lay of tha lake woodlands while tent campen
under tha North Star/or paddlen in moon-lit night
wer granite lined lakes echo's of loon tunes & wolf howls, 'tis wood be a "true north happenen".
Wetten 1's paddle down scenic vistas water course
to & from large wave lakes that move into wind protected narrows which pass into marshy hay grassey ponds, wer majestic moose R loose. Once
splash paddle out of shallow ponds , thence cum into beavers quiet winden streams be nice/but easy flatwaters flowen ahead.
'Tis be "Indian Canoe Country" which 'tis here
Virgin Place also be "Black Bear Country",
"Tha Protector/or Guardian of Waters Woods".
To portage use/or canoe camp unspoiled water-way
course fer tha 1st time leave no trace of wake behind, Heya!

Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great scribe man.
 Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Canoe23
 Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey rt,

"Busy as a Beaver"
Come autumn fall be true.
Beavers modify ther environment fer ther own
purposes more than any other animal except man.
'Tis "Beavers Scared Center of tha Land"
be called because "Spirit of tha Beaver creates
a rich habitat fer all water, woods & wetland animals.

rt's passion & love in his presentation of
"I Know A Place", shows-off how paddlen in tha
"True North" 'tis. By pointen-out his concern fer tha tha protection of tha land he loves so, merits
him a "Beaver Badge of Courage".
His "Beaver Scout Promise",
to do his best, to be kind + helpful &
to luv "Mother Earth's Indian Canoe Country".
His "Beaver Scout Motto",
to be much prepared to defend land of lakes of
tha "Great North" against all who brings harm.

rt be "Beaver-Like".
He be pleasent & friendly in dealen with others.
Our "Talken Affable Brother" 'tis
"Tha Big kahuna", fer-ever-more-placed, Heya!

Link to this message

rt_kahuna

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Canoebear - I appreciate your comparison of me to the Beaver - Especially when you put the Beaver's place in nature like this -"'Tis "Beavers Scared Center of tha Land" be called because "Spirit of tha Beaver creates a rich habitat fer all water, woods & wetland animals." but alas it seems they are bound and determined to log in this area. (According to the latest Temagami news info)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home