Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Fire on West Shoreline (hub) < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, July 3, 2018 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Getting rumor of a major fire broken out along the West shoreline of Temagami.

Anyone got info?
 Link to this message

michael

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - 6:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are actually four fires currently active on Lake Temagami. This website will show you the locations and size and updates for each one:

http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/ForestFire InformationMap/index.html?site=AFFES_ONLine&viewer =AFFES_ONLINE
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you, michael. That is a very helpful resource!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1885

Posted on Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I posted photos of 3 fires on Lake Temagami.

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Seasons/summer/2017 summer-02.htm
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1886

Posted on Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

MNR has declared an extreme fire danger rating.
 Link to this message

gtgtemagami

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, July 6, 2018 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A video of the fire on the northeast arm July 2
https://youtu.be/g9OwRqFKf6Q
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1888

Posted on Saturday, July 7, 2018 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lucky MNR was on that fast.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, July 8, 2018 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.nugget.ca/2018/07/08/temagami-on-evacua tion-alert

Temagami on evacuation alert

Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 8, 2018 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Findlayson Park and Marten River Park were evacuated this afternoon.
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, July 8, 2018 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

On July 8, 2018 at approximately 5:45 p.m. members of the Temiskaming Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) assisted the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) by advising residents living between Finlayson Point Provincial Park Road and Jessie Lake to evacuate their homes due to a dangerously close active forest fire near Temagami, Ontario.

The MNRF has implemented this mandatory evacuation and there are approximately 20 homes in this area.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1889

Posted on Monday, July 9, 2018 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Note that open fires are banned in Temagami region due to the situation.

I don't recall in the last 40 years ever seeing so many simultaneous fires in Temagami. If you have ever been involved with a wildfire, it is not something to take lightly. You face not only the danger of the flames but also the smoke. Fire can easily out-paddle or -portage you.
 Link to this message

red_pine

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Full Fire Ban

Fireban Details:

The park is closed until further notice due a significant risk from nearby forest fires. We hope to have the park reopened as soon as it is safe to do so.

Campsite reservation holders will be contacted and offered a full refund or the possibility to change their reservation with no penalty, depending on availability. For more information on reservation cancellations or changes, please contact the Ontario Parks Reservations Call Centre at 1-888-668-7275 from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm Eastern Time. To receive a penalty-free refund, please do not cancel or change reservations online.

We are monitoring conditions daily. Please visit www.OntarioParks.com for updates.}
 Link to this message

street

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone have the full story on the Temagami fires? Among the obvious questions: a) current status? b) multiple fires - did they all start at roughly the same time?; c) were they all caused by lightning? and d) how do these fires compare to the Obabika Inlet fire of 1977 (or was it '78)?
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I want to say '76 ... but not positive
 Link to this message

heatherlynne7

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm also very concerned! How much of our beautiful Temagami is burning down? Are we loosing Old Growth/ large areas of forest? That would be so sad!!

Also, this is why tokenism is not good enough! It's not good enough to save one old growth forest because what if it burns down?! There's so little Old Growth left that everything that is left should be protected!! :'(
 Link to this message

heatherlynne7

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

there's a 12000 hectare fire burning near McGiffen Lake South of Makobe Lake and North of LERiver... that's HUGE! That is the same area that burned years ago, right? But still, huge!
 Link to this message

rane

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If my background searches are correct, the 1992 fire in that area was apparently 771ha. The "monster" fire in 1977 was 10,927ha. So if this fire is where it shows on the map now (a few days ago it showed up near Landers Lake), and is indeed 12,000ha, why is it not getting more media attention? I hope it is just wrong information on the fire map, because if it is not, it is indeed very sad.
 Link to this message

heatherlynne7

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2018/07/10/th ousands-of-hectares-burning-out-of-control-in-the- north-bay-district.html

A story in the Toronto Star about it - I think they got their info from the map though so it still might be wrong.
 Link to this message

tearknee

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's really weird that the 12,000 ha monster was showing at Landers Lake the other day and now it's at McGiffin.

I've been checking the fires on the federal government website, too... you can add estimated perimeter layers and see historical burn areas.

http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 138

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

12,000 ha is an area of approximately 30 by 40km. With center at Landers it would cover everything from Smoothwater to Macobe to Lady Evelyn lake to Florence and may be some more. And that would include at least 5-6 other fires in this area as shown on the government map suggested above. It looks like an obvious misprint, which still didn't make the situation less heartbreaking.
 Link to this message

rane

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The best view I found was to use the federal website (http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/), and then change the overlay to include active fires (which is the same as the information on the Ontario fire map site), hot spots, and estimated fire perimeter. Then you can scan through day by day from when the fire was first detected. It seems that the location they have it pinned at now (near Mcgiffin) is probably correct, rather than Landers. And the current efforts to put it out seem to be near Mendelson, which would also make sense given this view. I think sadly it is as big as they say. I new to watching forest fires, but I still find it strange how it just went from nothing to a huge area, in a day.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 139

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My mistake in arithmetic: it's more like 10 by 12km, not 30 by 40.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 180

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rane - so Makobe, Grays and Banks are probably affected?
 Link to this message

rane

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is a view from the federal website this morning. The gray outline is the perimeter estimate, and from what I can gather, it a bounding box of hotspots from all the previous days combined. The current stars are today's hotspots (and are mostly near Frederick and Mendelsson lakes, which is going to be where the fire is most active). I *think* the red dot is where the Ontario Fire Map locates the fire, and probably where it started (but who knows, with lightning, there were probably multiple starts from the same event). I don't know what it would actually look like on the ground, but I would say from this view, that the long portage from the Grays River to Makobe to avoid shallow water in Graymud Lake is definitely impacted, as is most of the Grays River and some of Grays Lake. Banks, and most of Makobe, are probably unaffected, but the views of the back-side of Maple Mountain probably will be impacted.

The number of hotspots today is pretty light. Some days earlier this week, the entire "gray" outline was full of yellow stars.

Link to this message

street

Post Number: 23

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A google search turned up this news site which appears to include a daily comprehensive update: https://wawa-news.com/index.php/2018/07/18/evacuat ions-begin-near-temagami-due-to-fire/
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Quite active the past few days. Perimeter extending northwards to of Makobe River. Almost up to Cooks Lake... Also appears to be consuming the south leg of the Trethewey loop.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home