Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through August 10, 2005 * Ice conditions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sparky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Happy New Year

can sombody tell me the ice conditions on temagami,, is there any slush and how much snow is covering the trails in the woods???

Sparky
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 6, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is anywhere from 7-8" of good ice. There maybe a little more in others. People are driving cars and light trucks to the reserve, but I would not go wandering about the lake in one yet. Stick to the main trail. The skidoo club has marked the trail on the NE arm to the hub so far. There is no slush and little snow on the ice since the mild day last week. As for snow in the bush, I would say a foot at the most.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, January 7, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is what I was told by Kim from Temagami Marine this morning when I asked if I could get out to my place on Island 30. Her husband Jim runs Dad's bait and tackle..so has a pretty good handle on the ice I would think. Wayne

Only snow machines. There is between 6 and 18 inches of ice anywhere on
the lake but it's not good ice, it's slush ice so no vehicles (cars)
yet.
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 7, 2005 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are numerous vehicles driving over to the reserve now. Pickups and cars. As for slush ice, there is very little. When I pulled my ice hut out the other day and cut some holes the ice was pretty black right through. The rain last weekend saved our bacon as far as slush is concerned. My hut would still be on shore if were not for that rain. The two nights of -29 made more ice for sure. There may be a layer of slush ice, but it isn't much. Happy Trails.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, January 7, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ojig...I want to drive some stuff out to my place on Island 30 (4 out from the town dock)with truck and trailer if I can... to avoid barging in the spring. Plan to fly up if I get a chance and if not drive to scout this out and see if it's doable. BTW, Where is most of the ice fishing done in the NorthEast Arm?
Wayne
 Link to this message

hector

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

where does the snowmobile trail end up on the NorthEast Arm
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Hector
I am just cruising the site, and see you have another question. From town the trail is marked all the way to the hub. From that point on it is best to have map in hand if you don't know. Normally the ski doo club marks the trail all the way down to Baie Jeanne. This year it is not. (to date). That will confuse riders coming from Sudbury for sure, especially at night. You can tell because you will see stationary headlights out on the ice as they try to figure out where they are. If you wanted you could take the ice road all the way from town as well. It is better to travel by vehicle than sled today. Definitely less wind chill.
 Link to this message

dendrast

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

}To the best of my knowledge, the "Skidoo Club " is not maintaining any trails on Lake Temagami this year. Any stakes, trees, or posts have been put there by private individuals, for their own reasons. Do not assume that a trail may exist simply because it did in the past. On the bright side for Skidooers, the relatively light snow cover and cold temperatures mean that the travel on the ice is about as good as it gets. There are pressure ridges, one between Rabbitnose and Seal Rock, and another in Granny Bay, that I am aware of, so you may not be able to drive a vehicle anywhere you want, but almost. Always approach pressure ridges with caution even on a Skidoo.}
 Link to this message

sparky

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hello

I am coming back this friday for another snowmobile trip.. I was back during the last melt and flash freeze and didn't get much snowmobiling in due to lack of snow and worlds largest ice rink.. sliders were melting.. any tricks for lubricating the sliders during no snow conditions.
The weather stations are calling for freezing rain and I guess tha there is not much snow so is the ice turning into a rink again?
thanks
Sparky
 Link to this message

dendrast

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

To lubricate sliders under dry icy conditions, carry a small bottle of dish soap, diluted about 1/2. Every once in a while, when you think that the sliders are getting hot, lean over and give them a squirt from the bottle. The soap not only helps to keep the liquid from freezing,but also, because of the lower surface tension, increases the lubricating effect and allows the liquid to remain longer on the sliders.
 Link to this message

hector

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

dendrast
do you know if anybody has been on the old logging road that runs up the side of eye lake to bob lake? has there been anybody been across the devils bay portage?
And what are the lake conditions like today?
 Link to this message

dendrast

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 9, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ice good, dry, a bit of snow clinging to it.
I came down Bob lake road to NW arm weekend befor last, met Bob Farr going up with a party. Not as nice and open like I remember from about 10 yrs. ago. A couple of washouts, nothing you can't get around. Reportedly, Devil's portage is passable.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just checking to see that the ice road is still being used from the town ramp. Planning a trip up on Saturday and want to get out to the cottage.

THANKS for anyone that can advise!

Wayne
 Link to this message

neodim

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ice cave under pressure crack in February:

http://lucid.dreaming.org/temagami/images/temagami .lake/ice/index.html

Lake at freeze-up in December:

http://lucid.dreaming.org/temagami/images/temagami .lake/freeze-up/index.html

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home