Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through August 10, 2005 * "Chew Abit With Otters" < Previous Next >

Link to this message

canoebear

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Otter People Make-Up"

Power of much laughter with spirit of happiness,
chat much debate, bright, skillful, handy,
helpful, gentle, playful, "Watchers of NE Waters Woods", hav ability to bob-up out of water to foresee dreams, notable comrads, haven sum
practical no-how, & also no much bout double-ends of ther trade, which aids when come across "True Norths" Native portage pack trails + assists to navigate canoe paddle routes thru linked-up waterways.
Otters lives in/or near wild pristine lake/river waters, who enjoy to float, Heya!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 147

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

What would an otter track look like in soft snow?
I was on Georgian Bay this weekend and I saw a track with large prints going across the snow. Running between the prints was a rounded groove in the snow,much like a trough which appeared to have been made by an animal with a low slung belly that was dragging along the snow.
Was this an otter track?
 Link to this message

paul_hammersten

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed

I have never seen an otter travel in the snow, however I have read how they like to propel themselves foward like a toboggan.

We have over 2' of snow with 4' to 8 ' drifts now and first thing each morning I enjoy scouting the different animal tracks.

I have noticed how very quickly fresh prints change in outline and size as the sun melts the surface of the snow or the wind shifts the drifts.

What was a fox print yesterday is the size of a small deer print today.

Best

Paul
 Link to this message

copper

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 6:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

An otter track will run without a tail marking then slide for a good distance, it will look like a large beer can was pushed through the snow. Quite often the tracks will lead to open water or a open hole in the ice.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 148

Posted on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Copper:
That would describe what I saw. Except this must have been a pretty plump otter as the slide ( beer can effect) went along the track for as far as I could see and there was no open water around for several km. The track was pretty straight, went over the top of an island we were staying on and proceeded across a second bay to other islands, perhaps eventually heading towards open water.
Thanks for the insight.
Ed.
 Link to this message

copper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 6, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

yeah sorry they are alot larger than a beer can I guess a large adult can weigh around 50 lbs or more. I trapped the marten River/Temagami area and although there may not have been water about you can bet that if you followed the tracks long enough they would have led you to a cold drink. They have an amazing ability to find an opening and locate it, i remember folowing a group (they often will travel in groups) and without hesitation they located un unseen opening in the ice leading them to safety.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home