Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through August 10, 2005 * Survivorman < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i don't know if anyone watches the show, but it's basically a guy that has to survive in the wild on his own for 7 days and try to get to civilization if possible..last night i saw one that he did in temagami during the winter...he didn't get out..hehe...just thought i'd bring it up
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 132

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I watched it. It must have been filmed later winter 2004 or early winter 2005. He had freezing rain and it was not that cold, only -5c.
Bill
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"he didn't get out"

Does that mean that the show producers had to go pick him up or such? I've never really heard about this show: wait... is it that guy on the Discovery channel?
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

not that cold? it went down to around -20

he has a "survival crew" that flies in and picks him up if he can't find his way out
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My friend, Peter Dale, was the guy that dropped him off in the homebuilt Piper on Kehler skis. Survivor man was still fully healthy after 7 days of eating nothing but a snarred bunny rabbit. Pretty slick at making fire as well, both with the battery and also an axe and a rock! His helicopter crew picked him up heading down a lake on the 7th day. He would have made it to town, or the highway I'm sure....that's if he was heading East...and not West!
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

well was he dropped on the west of temagami or the east?
 Link to this message

chib

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This here survivorman guy, obiviously studies some maps of the areas where he's dropped off. He
knows what direction he's going to go and approx.
where he'll be picked up seven days later. Yeah I've watched the show, it's well edited for viewer interest.
 Link to this message

tripper_dave

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Survivor Man's name is Les Stroud. He teaches wilderness survival and has a background as a cinematographer. A very salt-of-the-earth kinda guy. He also made a film about how he and his wife lived off the land in Wabakimi for a year.

Yea, he has a crew to get him in and out of the situations he's in but the surviving and the filming of it is done by him and him alone. When you see the shot of Les walking into the distance, that's him. What you don't see is Les walking all the way back to get the camera only to walk the distance again. He'll use his experience and tackle the seven days before any help arrives.

My young son Chris (13) just loves his show was emailing with him for a while. Les was kind enough to email back many times to help my boy learn how to light a fire with a bow drill. Chris loves the outdoors like I do and thinks the world of Les. He's a great role model. There are very few people out there that would be able to fit that bill in my son's eyes.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Les is the real deal.

Dave
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yeah he's a cool guy..i met him on the long weekend at the cottage

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home