Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through August 10, 2005 * Temagami map for Garmin GPS? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ws46060

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know of a third party developer who has digitized a map of lake temagami that can be uploaded to a Garmin gps?

Garmin's library of North American maps doesn't cover Lake Temagami. Garmin's map format is proprietary, so their gps's don't accept other's maps. They do allow developers to create maps in their format.

Does anyone know of a developer who has put a map of Temagami into Garmin's format?

Thanks,

Bill
 Link to this message

moose

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

if you buy the garmin legend gps it has lake temagami and lady evelyn and abokia on it as well as rods and hwys you can also upgrade for topo maps
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 9:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a Garmin 60CS. Canada Topo has Temagami - and everything else in Canda. Most roads, features, train tracks, elevations, swamps, etc. I bought my copy for $99 USD. I will be on Temagami Lake starting 5/30/05 and stay for a week. I will see how accurate the GPS map is when I am on the lake. Unfortunately, the Topo Canada map has no lake depths on it. I had to buy laminated fishing maps to get that info. I, too looked for a better map and had to settle for Topo Canada.
 Link to this message

ws46060

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks,Rob

Please do post your observations. I know I can't navigate with Topo Canada, but I hope it will tell me which island I am close to so I can reference a chart.
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bill....

I used my Garmin 60CS with Topo Canada while on Temagami Lake last week. I found the maps useful, but the shoreline was only accurate to within about 20 feet. The GPS was able to find my position to less than 10 feet at times depending upon the presence or absence of reception on various geostationary sattelites. None of the underwater shoals appeared on the Topo maps and I had to use the printed shoals map of the lake to avoid trouble spots. When moving around on the lake, I stayed in the boat lanes established by the red and green marker buoys for the most part. I didn't go into the Southern arms as the Threebuoys staff felt that it was a little tricky for a "first-time" houseboat renter to attempt. They didn't say no, but advised the easier North part of the lake. The combination of the shoals map and the GPS together made it impossible to be lost or disoriented at any time. Whenever we were underway, the shoals map and the GPS were positioned at the helm. Interestingly, the GPS revealed when we were close to creek outlets, even when it was impossible to tell just looking at the shoreline. Let me know if you had any other questions.

Rob
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

P.S.

The names of the islands appeared on the GPS maps, so I always knew the names of islands as I came near them. Islands such as Rabbitnose Island were labeled on the Topo Canada maps, but the fly-speck islands with one cabin on them were not named. Perhaps these islands only have vanity names given by their owners.

Rob
 Link to this message

ws46060

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Rob,

I suspected that smaller homeowner islands wouldn't be labeled. It is good to know that they are at least represented graphically.

-Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home