Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through August 10, 2005 * Fishing Report < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all,

I will start my week-long fishing trip on Temagami Lake next Friday, 7/1/05. I would appreciate any current fishing news from forum members. I plan to bring a mini-laker (portable downrigger for trout trolling) as well as tackle for spin-casting and minnow fishing. I would love to catch Walleye and Trout. Does anyone know areas of the lake that are productive in general. I have bought the Fishing Maps Plus series of depth maps for the lake with the usual hints. I know that fish don't read maps and tend to move around, but any hints or comments would be appreciated. Especially trolling lures that seem to work and lure colors that work best for trout.

Thanks

Rob
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob, I caught these right off my dock last week. Berkley Frenzy diving minnow in Perch and Rebel Holographic 4 1/2" minnow. 22 inch pickerel and 33 inch Northern. Also caught a 19" pickerel and a 32" Northern two nights later. Both pike at 7:30/7:35 and the pickerel 8:10/8:15 Cheers, Wayne

Well looks like my pics are just a tad too big..gotta get to bed...will fix tomorrow if I find time.

Here's the links for now
http://www.irishfield.on.ca/gallery/22pickerel.jpg
http://www.irishfield.on.ca/gallery/33northern.jpg

(Message edited by irishfield on June 27, 2005)

Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dear irishfield,

Thanks for the post. I checked out your pictures!
Very nice. I would love to catch Pickerel - they are wonderful to eat. Do you have any Titanium spoon lures? They are much lighter than steel, but much stronger. They never rust or chip. You can pull them in slower and still get great action. I will give you a couple of these lures if we can find a way to meet on Temagami Lake starting this Friday morning (When I will be at Threebuoys, leaving the dock). I could even leave the lures in town for you, if you like. But get back to me if you want them - I fly out this Wednesday at 4 pm.

Rob
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wasn't looking for gifts Rob, just offering what was working for me! But if you're giving away...will see what can do. The beaver makes his morning warm up taxi right by my dock and I'll be back up there by Thursday at the latest. You say Friday morning and then Wednesday 4pm?? You know what I look like from the pics. I can boat in to the dock at the boat ramp next door to Lakeland.

Also be aware that on Lake Temagami proper there is an 18.1 to 24" slot size for Walleye that you must release.

Cheers,
Wayne

Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wayne,

I am not Santa, but hey, I just bought 24 of these from the guy who invented them and is bringing them to market. They are not for sale, yet, but his son and my son were college roommates last year and he let me in on them. Plenty to go around, and the forum has been very helpful in general. The generosity of the members makes me feel a little generous as well. My group will board a houseboat at threebuoys on Thursday night, but will probably cast off the next morning. I can either meet at the dock - or if that doesn't work out, I'll just leave them in an envelope with the people at three buoys for you!

I guess I am so new to the forum that I didn't catch on that you are the pilot of the otter in your little photo.... I must have been sleeping.

Oh well,

Hope to say hello in a day or two... and thanks to everyone in the forum who helped me to prepare for this week on the lake.

Rob
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob, you'll go right by my dock on the way out but probably not a great idea to try to dock that 40 footer on my new 20 foot dock! If I don't make it up and to the Lakeland dock by Thur night leave them with Lakeland and I'll get them from Cindy when I get into town over the weekend. Give a toot on your way by, our 911# is T30-4..on the right side just before the channel narrows past the park. Can't miss the new floater docks that haven't weathered yet.

Do your know the name of the ship they gave you??

Cheers/Thanks, Wayne
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wayne,

My step-father arranged the boat and he tells me that he was not given any boat name or number. I'll keep an eye out for you - I'll leave the lures with Cindy as a fall-back.

Today, I fly to Michigan to hook up with my brother in Port Huron. Then on through Canada to Toronto and North to Temagami, arriving Thursday in time for dinner in town with the whole sorry group of us. My step-father is French Canadian and my family is from Michigan. We are much the same, eh?

Rob
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, July 5, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great getting that quick glimpse of you on our way to town Rob...guess I should have stopped to yak..but the wife had a meeting to get to in town....so had to be rude and keep going. Picked up the lures ..THANKS!!.. and will give them a whirl when I get back up next week for the remainder of the summer.

Cheers,
Wayne
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wayne,

I tried the lures and found them to be "too light" to use easily. Kind of like casting a plastic spoon. I trolled for trout who were sitting at 80 feet down, but had no action on any lure. This was at the neck of Ferguson bay. We will try again next year.

Thanks again for the friendly banter. I am now back in suburbia, about 40 minutes north of the center of New York City. About as far away from Temagami as one could ever imagine - culturally, emotionally, philosphically, etc. I did try some Poutien before I left. Not bad, even if it did have me grabbing at my chest in anticipation of the massive heart attack.

Rob
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob
How was your trip?
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dear TSM,

Look under my posting for houseboats for a few comments about using the houseboat. I had a great time. It was like camping on the water! Even though we had great fishing only one night, the whole experience was outstanding. The natural beauty of the place is awe inspiring. If anyone is interested to know where we caught fish, it was along the western shore of the inlet above Devil Bay, west of Raccoon Point. We landed "keepers" of Walleye, whitefish and bass. The fish only wanted to bite between about 7 and 8 pm with most of the activity at 7:30 PM. I caught four fish on a small gold spoon that goes by the brand "Little Cleo" and features a wriggling Cleopatra logo stamped on the inside curve. Evidently, "Cleo" remains attractive after 2000 years.

Rob
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Glad you had a great trip Rob! My first though on the lure was a tad light and left scratching my head when the packaging even suggest weights for casting! I'll still give them a whirl...but that decal tape ain't going to stay on very long!

Cheers,
Wayne
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dear Wayne,

I agree with your comments about the lures. Even though the tape will not last, the color on the lure is due to an oxide and will not fade or chip. I am not sure whether these lures have a chance at the market place. I was in Cabela's recently and there were acres of lures. But, the titanium lures may turn out to have advantages...

I will return next year, perhaps later in July. Our little family vacation group is considering a fly-in by Lakeland Airways instead of a houseboat. If you know of anyone who can give feedback about the fly-in cabins on remote nearby lakes, let me know. I have been told that the fishing is generally better. For me, the trip is half for the fishing and half for everything else!

Rob
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 45

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well Rob...I'll be there next year as well...and the next...and the next...and you know where to find me I think (U where along side my Island when I yelled to you...we're on the West End..dock with tires and airlift for floatplane..as well as another new floater dock around the corner. I will ask around on the fishing site I belong to as to how those that have used the flyin camps like them.

Cheers,
Wayne
 Link to this message

rob_grambau

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While floating off the Marina at the other end of the Eastern arm (some of the crew getting supplies), my brother spotted a shoal map floating in the water. We scooped it up and I brought it home with me. Even though it was wet, it is made of plastic fibre paper (as you already know) so I just cleaned it up, dried it off and brought it home with me at the end of the trip. I know exactly where you live, now~! And when I look at the real estate ads, I get a sense of place. For example, whether an island is on a route or tucked into a sheltered area where you look out your window and see nothing but wilderness.

Even though my next visit is a long way off, I plan to check into the ottertooth from time to time and continue to scrounge for info on various trips and rentals.

You certainly chose a beautiful place to live.

Regards,

Rob

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home