Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Archive through November 28, 2006 * Scarecrow Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I recently returned from a trip in the area of Scarecrow Lake. We travelled and fished everywhere from the Sturgeon River, to Stull and on up etc. While in that region (and near the road) we saw only a few bird hunters on ATVs, no other canoeists or campers. We only saw the remnants of previuos campers (if you know what I mean) on the island site in Scarecrow Lake. As disgusting as that is to see, it is becoming more common and unfortuneately I am learning to expect it.
However... My question is, while on that lake, there were a few guys (wearing hardhats and hunter orange jackets) working at the campsite and the trailhead to Ishpatina Ridge. They had a generator running the whole day we were on the lake and were doing something with long hoses. When they ran out of gas or other supplies they had a helicopter fly in right over us and drop them off whatever they needed. So much for trnquillity! We figure they were with either the MNR or some forestry company or dept. They were using chainsaws and cutting down trees as well. I wanted to go over and ask what they were doing but we were already perturbed by everything on the lake which we already saw and heard that day that we just wanted to leave. Does anyone know what was going there? Any thoughts or comments?

John.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 452

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

An MNR fire crew putting out a fire. We are still in fire season due to the drought, heat and lack of drenching rain.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I thought that as a possibility too, but I saw no evidence of a fire. Have there been any reports of fires in that area?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 453

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Call MNR in North Bay to find out.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 76

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

John
There were new fires still starting last week, very unusual for this time of year, but then again it has been very dry. That was no generator you heard but a fire pump. The poor MNR, you guys don't give them a break. There is a little lightning strike on Maple Mtn. and its all over Ottertooth like CNN on Katrina. Then the fire fighters go to Ishpatina, put the fire out and people complain about the noise.
This has been a near record year for fires in the Northeast, over 400 I believe, and not one got out of control in the Sudbury, North Bay, Temagami area! Give the MNR a break they did an amazing job this summer.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I thought I was making a comment and asking some questions more than I was complaining. (although I was complaining about the island campsite, and rightly so) Had I known for a certainty that they were putting out a fire I would have understood the need for the noise in a normally tranquill environment. I've never had a chopper fly in right over my head while on a trip so it roused my curiosity and I had to ask. Also, I think Ottertooth and it's contributors are doing an excellent job monitoring and providing information regarding the goings on in the Temagami region.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 460

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pilot, I do not understand your objection to Ottertooth's coverage of MNR's fire fighting effort this summer. Their efforts are unsung and they deserve even more coverage. It is a tough, dirty job. These guys carry hoses and generators in from lakes through impenetrable undergrowth. They get eaten alive by the bugs. They risk their own safety. And this summer put in long hours. Without them, Temagami and northern Ontario would be a different place. So they deserve some recognition. Out of sight, out of mind.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian
I guess I didn't make myself clear, I have no objection to the Ottertooth coverage, on the contrary, a small fire on Maple Mtn and it makes the photo of the month! Great. The Katrina crack was meant as a good thing. I know very well how hard fighting fire is, I did it for 7 years, 3 on the ground and 4 from the air.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, October 3, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

They did an amazing job this summer, and as Bush-pilot says it's still going on. I watched chopper after chopper leave the Temagami fire base all summer and the water bombers coming in to scoop on the North East Arm while the "mixmaster" spotter plane lead them to the dump spot. One Thursday alone there were 87 new fires in the region.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home