Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami general * Temagami Tavern Fire 1999 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, February 2, 2013 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

previous post & brian's comment about lost artifacts reminded me of january 3rd 1999, when by a fluke my wife & i were driving back from a crosscountry skiing trip at smoothwater lodge and there was a column of smoke rising over temagami.
the temagami tavern, one of our favourite hangouts, had just burned down and the smoking ruins were covered with icicles from the fire hoses... the firefighters were having dinner at Marg's restaurant, still wearing their full winter gear (it was -25) when we got there.
i always wondered if anything was salvaged out of the tavern- for example the record trophy fish that were displayed there- or was everything lost?
still curious after 14 years, anyone know anything?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1509

Posted on Saturday, February 2, 2013 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good question.
 Link to this message

peterme

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Within the last few months while doing some organizing I came accross a photograph of the ruins of the tavern, a friend took the photo while traveling thru town.....by the looks of the photo I would say nothing was saved from the building. It certainly was a great northern tavern, it is missed ....
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 194

Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A friend of mine is related to the tavern owners, her aunt and uncle. She said she will check it out, but from what she remembers, it went so fast, that they didn't have time to get much of anything out.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I remember building up a healthy dose of airsickness circling round and round shooting pictures. Was brutally cold too... Flight was delayed 'til it warmed up and we followed Hwy 11 the whole way in case we had to set down.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 226

Posted on Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ah yes the 'White House'. If you asked for a draft you were told " the only draft in here comes under the damn door".
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, February 7, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My friend checked it out being told there was just enough time to get out, managed to grab a laundry basket of clothes, and a few things from the basement were salvaged, but nothing from the bar, as that is where the fire started, in between the roof and ceiling. So likely only the memory of the trophy fish is left.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, February 9, 2013 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for checking that out.
oh well, too bad about those fish...
sic transit gloria mundi.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed
Post Number: 34

Posted on Friday, November 8, 2013 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The local taxidermist at that time salvaged the slightly charred antlers from the large moose head that hung there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Only registered users may post messages here. If you have cookies enabled, your username and password will automatically appear in the boxes. Register
Password:
Action:

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home