Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * June to Sturgeon and up Obabika < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Greetings Canoeists!

I'm planning an expedition down the Sturgeon River to the Obabika River and then into the lakes for eventual pickup. I have Hap's book and a Ministry Map found somehow on an Alqonquin trip in 1993. The FOT map is on the way.
Otherwise, looking for local knowledge and a shuttle. Would like to use a driver to the Gervais Road access point if possible. Bush plane is not in the budget.

Arrival is June 19, 2013. Any thoughts to water levels traditional to June? Impressions of this route?
I paddle a war worn Old Town Penobscot Royalex on the rocky rivers and lakes of Maine. Last season saw a kevlar boat ripped apart in a CII rapid. It was a scary sight.

Also, this is a Dad and Son trip. We are a one canoe party. If interested in joining in, please let me know. 6/19 - 6/29

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Link to this message

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also considering a loop.
Gervais Road parking
Sturgeon to Pilgram Creek
Yorston Lake . up the river
Blue sucker
wander to Reagan
Back to Gervais Road
Possible in later June? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

water levels won't be a problem in june. getting a shuttle to gervais landing could be a challenge unless someone here has a contact in capreol. it's a pretty long road and somewhat rough in spots especially when you get closer to the sturgeon. make sure you print out the excellent map of the road from this website.
i would suggest the loop route, as the upper yorston and solace lakes are beautiful... and then you don't have to worry about (or pay for) a shuttle.
by the way there are no motels closer than sudbury, (the one in capreol is long-term stays only) but you can camp along the gervais road if need be, for example at the pourpore bridge on the wanapitei river where there is a large clearing.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you grncnu -- this sort of local knowledge is very beneficial. I'm pretty set on doing the loop through the Solace Lake region.

It feels better to have the route logistics in hand.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home