Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Too early for a canoe trip in Temagami? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mnarcko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there,
I am considering embarking on the Maple Mountain loop this week. Is the water still way too cold to do so? I have done this loop before but it was much later in the season.
Thanks
Mark
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1532

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, the water is way too cold, with no margin for error, especially for summer paddlers. There are experienced canoeists out now though.
 Link to this message

mnarcko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your input Brian
I do have limited experience paddling in waters this close to 0, but I've been keeping an eye on the weather and gusts of up to 40km/h on Lady Evelyn doesn't really jive with no margin for error.
I also wonder if I could get into trouble with more remote sections like spray creek still having frozen sections? Though generally the largest should be the last to thaw..
Do you think water temperature levels might rise enough in the next couple weeks to improve beyond "critical danger"?

(Message edited by mnarcko on May 14, 2013)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1534

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is no ice anywhere. I would not expect water temperature to rise that fast.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home