Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Print own Topos < Previous Next >

Link to this message

timothy

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone have experience with SoftMap? I need the topos for the Sturgeon River to Pilgram Triangle and the Solace PP. It seems volume 2, seen here: www.softmappublishing.com/topo_cd_ont_vol2.htm will cover the region.

I would like to print my own Topos, notate them, and laminate. Does this seem possible with this application?

Do these maps include GPS coordinates?

The attached photo is 2008 St. Croix River with my 11 yr old son. The river is the border of Maine and New Brunswick. Nice system with the Spednic Lake system at the river's head.

Thanks for your imput in advance.
Timothy

(Message edited by timothy on May 14, 2013)
 Link to this message

darlh

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Timothy, I have used many commercial topo map software packages, but with Canadian and US government making the topo data freely available, I have'nt used anything from Softmap or Fugawi in years.
You can get the data yourself in many formats, or use web apps to draw the data on screen where you capture and annotate on your local PC with a raster/paint application.

The Canadian raw data is available in gml,geoTiff,Shape and even PDF files.
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/50k_pdf/0 41/p/cantopo_041p02_pdf.zip

A favourite web app is here:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?utm=17N, 520662,5227527&t=t2&z=13&coord=utm

Don't forget Brian's maps as well
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland03a.h tm
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've used them extensively. They are great for taking coordinates off and downloading to the GPS or vice versa.

They are not good for digital annotation. I resorted to capturing the images as BMPs and annotating them that way. Alternatively you could print them and annotate by hand.

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Timothy,
I can send you topos for this area in JPEG form if you like and if it can wait till Tuesday, when I'm back at my home computer. Also, I found alternative to laminating, which I like better - waterproof paper Rite in the Rain. It's plastic really, though feels like paper. Very durable.
Sergey
 Link to this message

timothy

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 6:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Guys
I followed the advice above and ordered maps from mytopo.com. What a great service. Shipped in a day too. There's no way I could have done this on my own with the same results. Got the route on 2 sheets and inexpensive. Very impressive.
Thanks for the help. One more task down.

Timothy

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home