Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Solace-Pilgrim Ck- Yorston R. Loop, May 2013 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trip report of our latest adventure:

http://www.canoedog.ca/2013/05/solace-lake-pilgrim -creek-yorston-river.html
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 414

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Report missing on the webpage?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1537

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I guess you have done the route more than anyone, so that's makes you the go-to guy.

If the portages were cleared, would this only be a high-water route?
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The link works for me Curly, if not for you let me know and I'll look at it again or try www.canoedog.ca and look in the summer trips on the side bar.

Brian, I'd say the creek has a fairly defined time to run it in the spring before the water levels drop too much. There would be some long rock garden sections to wade and haul over and some of the shallower slower sections would become quite mucky I'd think. I ran down the Sturgeon during the same time frame last spring and I'd say there was at least 4-5 times the water volume this year and I wouldn't attempt Pilgrim at those low levels - the work to perk ratio would be way out of whack. Some clearing of the several areas requiring portages would go a long way to easing passage downriver.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 417

Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 7:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Still doesn't work for me. All I see is the photo and the title at the bottom. I tried scrolling down but no luck.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1540

Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Link works for me too. Have you tried a different browser?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 418

Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Didn't work on Explorer or Safari, but worked on my iPhone and Chrome.... Thanks for the tip.

Canoedog, how come we never see you at the annual FOT meeting/gabfest?
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is that a Helinox camp chair shown on your campsite on DAY 6 ?
How did it work out for you? How was the comfort factor ?

I see that it is perched on 4 blue pads on some logs/boards.

Thinking of getting one if I can cough up a C-note.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

jonebegood, yes it's a Helinox chair - $89 at SAIL. Works good on rock, legs ends are small and will sink in soil hence the pads and old board i found at that spot. Will buy 4 tennis balls and slit them to place on the legs for next trip, shud alleviate any problems. Chair is pretty comfortable and is rated for 145 kg and is sturdy. Higher than the Alite chairs and rated for higher weights. Pretty easy to get out of and a comfortable height for me (I'm 5'8").
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi New to the postings but have been reading for a while. Enjoy all the trip info and logs. Looking to go to Temagami area for first time nest week. Still have not decided on a route. Do you think solace and pilgrim creeks would still be manageable...or water to low now.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 423

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 - 6:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was on the upper Montreal River in mid May then again 3 days ago. Water levels had dropped slightly. I expect that low-volume creeks will be getting unnavigable. However, I've never been on Pilgrim or Solace so can't speak to them specifically. For your first Temagami trip (in bug season too) you might want to choose an easier route. Even if you are highly experienced, there are other places that can offer a challenge without the water level issue.
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the advice. Good problem to have is...I think I have too many other routes to choose from but I want as much seclusion/scenery/diversity as possible in 9 days. I may stick to Lady Evelyn R area or yorston and try a loop one way or other from Temagami (Red Squirrel or Central Access) or Beauty lake rd access? Would direction be easier one way or the other this time of year? Crowds?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home