Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Sturgeon River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tracy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am curing the winter blas by planning next summer's big one! Looking at the Sturgeon for the first week on July. Any have an information or suggestions for me? Looks like flying in will be an option, maybe a little too much to spend, are their other options, shuttles? etc.? We are looking at starting at Scarcrow and going to wawigama?field? suggestions?
Thanks!!
and seriously early July Scarecrow Lake to Sturgeon What is truly the best route?? I am leaning towards 3k logging road...
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 270

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tracy,
You could leave a vehicle at Wawiagama Lake and take another the the Sturgeon near Scull Creek. and canoe down river to the left vehicle. No security for either vehicle. you take your own chances. Good run but only a 2 to 3 day trip normally.

Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 522

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

tracy:
Smoothwater to Scarecrow is a day. You could shuttle into the Montreal River and into Smoothwater in Day 1.Day 2 Scarecrow, Day 3 Isphatina, Day 4 Ghoul, Day 5 Perkins area, Day 6 lots of portaging.... Pilgrim Creek area, Day 7 Upper Goose or Lower Obabika River, Day 8 Wawiagama as Hillbilly suggested or carry on to Field if you have the time.

In July you could consider Stull Creek. Water should be calmer through here in July.( a nasty place in high Spring water)

Just a few thoughts....
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah Tracy

I like the Smoothwater access too...
If you have never been, it's more than worth it,
and it sounds like you have the time?

Sundown
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd be a little concerned with water levels in July. I have paddled this stretch during the summer, and have done alot of dragging.
If it's a real river-run you're after, May or June is a better time to run the Sturgeon.
It all depends on the year, however...

Having said that, the Sturgeon is one of my all time favorite paddling destinations; an "undiscovered" treasure. I'm amazed that it is not more popular.

Make a point of camping at the site near Kettle Falls - one of the finest places you'll ever see.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 524

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

MicMac is right. For the best ride go in May right after ice-out.But you may want to stay off of Stull Creek in May. Some Spring runs are much better than others. Early June 2004 had the highest water levels in recent times. 2005 and 2007 runs had more normal levels.You might want to look at Snow depth data for this year,2007-8 to see how it compares to previous years. If the snow turns out to be real heavy or if there is a lot of rain in the Temagami area in June you could also have a really good river run in July.
I have not done the Upper Sturgeon River in July.
The other way to track this is to look at the flow rates from the Upper Goose Falls monitoring station, if it is still operating, and compare the data to previous years / previous months. You can get this link by going to the Temagami part of this website.Click on Current Conditions and then click on Water Levels and locate the Upper Goose Falls data.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't help you on access options, as we flew in to scarecrow. On the portage though we opted to take the log road. In my opinion the road is the fastest option, but maybe not the easiest. In our case we didn't have the time to poke around as we had to go from scarecrow to Solace Lake in 1 day, so we chose the road. If you are well organized, and can avoid double carries the road will only take an hour. There are a couple small rises to start the thighs burning, but the road is reasonably smooth compared to a portage trail.

Wish I was going this year too, it is a beautiful area!

Simon
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 836

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

FYI, in the future, the fastest route from Scarecrow to Solace is through Melanson and Broadbent lakes:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/solace-ham low.htm
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian

Does that require access from "that" road?

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 837

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Which "that" road? The one-whose-name-is-not-spoken, or the one on the map of the Melanson-Broadbent route?
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian

I couldnt tell if they were one and the same,
given the map shown, and the maps I have here
on hand.

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 838

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The map on the Melanson-Broadbent route (aka Regan-Solace) shows roads that all connect to the road-whose-name-is-not-spoken, or did once.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian,

Would one still have to cross the Sturgeon in the absence of a bridge in order to access Hamlow? (to enable Hamlow-Regan-Solace)... or is
there a viable (or potentially viable) road which
swings west and north to access Hamlow without requiring a ford across the Sturgeon?

Thanks

Sundown

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 525

Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The answer is yes. One would have to travel north on the road whose name is unspoken and cross the waters which flow from points north in order to access those northerly points or those other points to the east or to the west.
All of those roads that travel to the west and the north from the road whose name is unspoken go around about in circles and disappear into nothingness.
So there is no apparent way to travel from the north and west towards the south and east in the direction that you contemplate.So the answer to that part of your question is no.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed

I am not hugely familiar with that area, and I thought it was being suggested that there was a potentially agreeable route... which might have enabled an application to Reform A7.

Guess it's back to the Slushmaker, eh Brian?
The new model will have to enable slush in summer though...

Again, Thanks Ed.

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 840

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are asking if there is an alternative road to get east of the Sturgeon in that area, the answer is no. The access is the Portelance Road. All these Regan area roads were logging roads used to feed the Portelance mill on Hamlow Lake (1960s and early 1970s) and there was just the one access road for the company to the entire area.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian

Great. Thank You... Back to the Slushmaker!!!

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian... would you fill us in on "the road-whose-name-is-not-spoken" and Ed... what a great bunch of boulderdash! Well spoken!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 842

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, if I can join the boulderdash... well... I, uh,...can't say.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 526

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That is exactly what it is Gudwolf... but in my defence, I was just responding to Sundown's earlier posts about "the road whose name is not spoken".
 Link to this message

tracy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well my confusion has escalated exponentially I am still at an impasse on the logistics of my trip... as I stare blankly at the map when I should be working...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 527

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tracy:
Don't get put off by all our obfuscation.Ignore all that stuff and just look at the Sturgeon River stuff.You should also follow the thread on CCR.
I think you were clear about getting down to Wawiagami Lake, but had some questions about portage difficulty which I think was answered on CCR? Also there is a post there on some more logistics.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tracy/Ed

I concur.

I advised Tracy elsewhere that I personally dont
endorse the Southern Access, and given I am a devout
Capricorn... well, you all know all about that...

Tracy, my offer of shuttle to avoid the usage of
the Southern Access remains open.

Ed, is right (as I have come to know, and value)
the other thread does explain, perhaps, my own
personal sensibilities.

But, they are just mine... needn't be anyone else's.

I also concur with Ed, that Field seems a little
too adventurous for the time alloted, and given
the time that you have available, I suggest you ought "soak it up" vs "sweat it out".

If I am not mistaken, Ed has a Trip Report on
a large part of your proposed route... No?

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 528

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No,I don't have a detailed trip report on the Sturgeon.There were just a few comments on travelling downstream to Kelly Lake from Obabika R.and then some comments about portages etc. from Stouffer Lake and south on the Sturgeon to the Obabika River,all during Spring conditions.
 Link to this message

tracy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is paddle like from Lower Goose to Field, If anyone has been? Our logistics are constantly changing
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 850

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Meandering, sandy, closed-in by the forest, repetitive scenery. A mixed forest with few pines remaining after logging for over a century. And it will go on all day. It starts to widen and straighten out near the Elbow.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home