Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Help plan 5-night loop trip wolf-chiniguchi < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ghost

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a trip for next summer, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Here's the plan so far.
1. Wolf Lake
2. Chiniguchi Lake
3. Laura Lake
4. Evelyn Lake
5. Matagmasi Lake.

I believe it is all crown land, and I don't need any permits. Camps are 1st come 1st serve. If not available I'll just keep paddling to the next one on the route. I have a map of the area and know where some of the camps are.

Please suggest improvements. I'm totally flexible.
All suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your help.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 839

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's not all Crown land, but Chiniguchi Park that you will be travelling through in part of the area is not operating so no permits are needed.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian... I used to go camping in Wisconsin when I was young (in the 60's)and the state of Wisconsin used to charge a yearly fee for a "camp permit" to be applied to a vehicle's windshield. It allowed access to all parks. Fees were collected by rangers at the campsites for the length of time used by the vehicle occupants which made sense as rangers were around on a daily basis.

However... as the Ontario rangers are in such short supply and have trouble monitering the campsites, why couldn't a canoe "permit" be issued to be applied to each canoe hull for the year that would give it access to all campsites on an unlimited basis, both in the parks and outside (who knows when we are entering or leaving a park in the backcountry?)

A flat fee for the canoe would be more equitable than trying to guess how many nights you are staying "in a park" or outside! When we get our permits @ Dad's in Temagami each fall, we are always guessing as to how many nights we will be "in or out of a Park boundary" due to weather conditions and how many nights that we now have to "rent" a tent...

I, personally, would be more inclined to buy a yearly 'permit' to support the cleanup and monitoring of campsites than arbitrarily pick a number of dates that I have to "rent" a tent ( which is completely BOGUS ~ Everybody takes theirs with them because they know of their EQUIPMENT'S condition.)

Permits are great when they can be monitored... but a flat fee ... would serve the purpose generating funds. I think backcountry travelers would be proud to have a decal applied to their canoe beam that states they support back country travel.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gudwulf

A very interesting concept.

I am a Member of a Group called Friends of Temagami. See www,friendsoftemagami.org

Would you, personally, see a benefit of joining
FoT and paying an annual Membership Fee to be
associated, and having us pay your Permit Fees
on any given year, from that allotment?

We do a lot of Route Restoration and Maintenance
and Wilderness Clean-Up and Awareness etc...

That way, your "Annual Donation" if you will, will
be guaranteed to go directly to the choices you
select.

You could email us prior to your trips, tell us
you will be staying 5 Permit Nights, and we could
pre-pay from your own account. Residuals and/or
additional donations, could also be directed
directly to the wishes you wish to endorse.

This is all "Off the top of my head", and such a
system does not presently exist... but, your post
indicates that maybe this is a great way to enable a lot of good things?

Comments?

Regards

Sundown

(Message edited by sundown on January 27, 2008)
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 271

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

gudwulf
A very interesting concept.

Sundown,
I think if it were to be brought to the MNR it just may be a viable recommendation. I have not heard of that concept before but it does sound good.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 841

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gudwulf, an excellent idea. Unfortunately, many governments do not act rationally.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown... am VERY aware of your good works with route restoration and maintenance as I visit this site at least weekly.

{Would you, personally, see a benefit of joining
FoT and paying an annual Membership Fee to be
associated, and having us pay your Permit Fees
on any given year, from that allotment?}

Absolutely!

An 'assesment' or fee structure to a private group such as FoT would be much more equitable, as I see it, as, for now, we have no idea where funds are going when we turn over our hard-earned dollars at a "permit store." I would have more confidence in an organization devoted to the upkeep of the Land than to turn over monies that may never see the light of day in the North Country. This makes more sense, Brian, as you so eloquently observe, as governments do NOT act rationally.

{You could email us prior to your trips, tell us
you will be staying 5 Permit Nights, and we could
pre-pay from your own account. Residuals and/or
additional donations, could also be directed
directly to the wishes you wish to endorse.}

As my brother and I used to travel the back-country without paying ANY fees and we fervently observe no trace camping, we would be glad to release left-over canoe 'permit' fees for FoT usage without restrictions. In the last couple of years, we have always had to carry out twice as much garbage as we knew we were carrying in just because more "hoonies" were making it into the back-country without a thought as taking it back out. We need to either clean up THEIR act(tions) or educate.

I believe a FoT fee of $95 per canoe per year for private canoeists would be a good starting point ~ subject to all your thread inputs~. If I am out for nine days once a year, this is only $10.55 a day (per canoe ~ $5.25 per camper) for a visit to God's Country.

Would make more sense than 'tent fees', me thinks.

p.s. not to bring up another subject, but as of yesterday with new anti-terrorism laws in place, it now costs me another $100 in a passport fee (good for 7 years) to visit your great country ~ which used to cost me nothing. Is this going to stop someone hellbent on 'spiking a tree' so-to-speak?}
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, February 1, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe this thread belongs to Ghost... sorry for stealing it. We need to give him some direction.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home