Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Smoothwater-Florence-Lady Evelyn River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pgidley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 8, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ive been looking at a way to do a loop in this area, but from what I've read, the stretch from Apex to Florence is pretty dry and unpassable in the summer. Im thinking mid to late July for this trip. Parking at the Montreal River, heading down Smoothwater, to Florence, then up to Gamble via the Lady and across back to Smoothwater through Sunny Water. Anyone done this with feedback on the route, or links to trip accounts? I'd give us 10-12 days to do it with a few days layover to fish and explore.

Or is there a better option in the area?

Thanks everyone
Pat
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 292

Posted on Saturday, March 8, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did a trip about 12 years ago from the Montreal down to Lady Dufferine through Smoothwater and then past Apex and hiked up Ishpatina and back to the Lady Evelyn R. down the Lady to the North Channel and then to Mowat Landing where we left another vehicle. 8 days and the water was OK. Do not know what it would like now. Always depends on water levels.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 857

Posted on Sunday, March 9, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Which month was that, Hillbilly?

Appreciate that it is a long walk from Gamble west to Smoothwater. You could avoid the longest portage by heading upstream on the Lady Evelyn River to Kaa and then over to Wabun Lake, then to Sunnywater. Hap Wilson has this route in his book.

But the least travelled section will be that from Apex to Florence on the Lady E. and you are correct about worrying over water. Suggest you check in here just before leaving to learn about water levels in the area.

If you have enough time, and you still want to be in the area, you could check water levels when you get there. If it isn't doable you could always turn back to Apex and head south via Scarecrow and Hamlow to Regan. There go Broadbent to Solace to Florence. This map shows the shortcut:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/solace-ham low.htm

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 294

Posted on Sunday, March 9, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian,
Brian this was the first week of July.
After we hiked to Ishpatina Ridge we back tracked back to I believe it was Apex Lake and then into Whitemud Lake And then the Lady Evelyn River South Channel to Duff Lake and onto the Lady Evelyn North Channel then to Mowat Landing. I am doing this from memory. I do not have a map handy in front of me.

Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on March 9, 2008)

(Message edited by hillbilly on March 9, 2008)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 541

Posted on Sunday, March 9, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are running the same discussion on 2 websites again.
Go to:
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?p =267328#267328
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 858

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hillbilly, then had the portages received much use? Were they obvious and easy to follow?
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 89

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I went virtually the same way in mid August of 1984 (also went to Ishpatina) and we found the South Lady Evelyn quite shallow but not impossible nor impassable (did some walking in the river). However we did not go back to Montreal headwaters but continued down to the South Channel and over to Diamond, Obabika via Bob Lake and back to Temagami via Spawning Bay/Hay Lake and the Northeast Arm.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 542

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe "lightjay" did this trip in July 2005, flying into Smoothwater and paddling out via the south LE River.
He said they spent most of one day walking down the river south of Whitemud.The water levels in the area were not particularily high in 2005.

Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The uphill portage to Sunnywater Lake from the Lady Evelyn river is one of the toughest portages in Temagami. Something to keep in mind.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 859

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The 3.9-km Gamble-Sunnywater portage, wardens noted in 2004, had been divided in two by a busy beaver. This would be about 300 m from the Gamble end.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/newsbriefs -033.htm
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gamble-Sunnywater... anybody know how that Plantation is doing? I worked the PB's in there.

TSM tried Lady Dufferin cross the Beauty Lake road
and down towards Stumpy, and came back to Beauty.
I drag that section. i did the port from Stumpy
to Gowganda last year.

Stumpy is "the" main Pickerel (walleye) spawning
habitat for the Montreal System. There is a HUGE
Canyon Gorge from Stumpy into Gowganda. A lot of
canoes regret the day they tried to challenge that
stretch, but it is a magnificent photo-op...

and Stumpy is Stumpy... the absolutely BEST L+F
and OMNR manmade lake in my opinion. It is the
perfect fishery-creation lake in the Northeast.

A good friend of mine, Mr Beverly Smith, has
invested several tens of thousands of hours, and
a packsack or two of his own money, to keep it
that way. The fish breed there, and before the
offspring are catchable size, they leave Stumpy
and populate Gowganda Lake, and the entire East
and West Montreal system. The Gorge keeps them
from coming back upstream.

Sundown
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 137

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown
Did you look for the portage I couldn't find/doesn't exist anymore?
After reading what you just wrote, I wish we had indeed made it to Stumpy. Our plan was to fish for pickerel there, as it turned out, we never fished during that trip at all.
Damn new canoe
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM

I hear that, TSM. Ah well... good reason for another run, i reckon?

No, I didnt paddle the Stumpy-BL Road section last year, though it was on my plans, and has been bumped to my 2008 work. I did hear that it does exist and just needs a cleanup, though. The Temiskaming (or Northern Temagami) area is one where most canoeists line their canoes, or wade the rapids. As an example, I believe there are what might be termed 28 "portageable" sections on the Makobe River, yet i only physically portage 4 and 1/2 of them myself. That being said, if we dont maintain all of those Ports, sometimes they seem to lose their "Nastawgan Status"... I hope to "alter that reality" this year, though.

From what I have heard, the Port south of Stumpy
into Stumpy does still exist, but needs attention (it will receive in early May).

Stumpy is an amazing example of a Breedstock Lake, and the geology/terrain features pretty much keep it that way, as the fry and fingerlings head downstream and repopulate the
Montreal Systems. I strongly encourage a mostly
"Catch and Release" on Stumpy, as the real "Monsters" are historically all in Gowganda Lake, anyway. Gowganda Lake has some of my alltime favourite (and successful) pickerel spots, and i believe Gowganda still holds the records for at least the NE Region, if not the Province. It also is my favourite bass lake.

Are you heading up this way in 2008?

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 138

Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown
As you may recall, the portage we couldn't locate was the 1895 m port that "skirts reforested area,C1 and C2 rapids, the first portage between the access and south of Stumpy.
Still thinks it's grown over, as I thought I could see where a portage may have been, but was very heavily grown over.
As for plans for this summer, it's going to be a busy one. I have a May speckle trip planned for APP, then a fly in trip planned in June to Little Missinaibi lake, then spending a week at the cottage on Lake Temagami in July with the family.
I was planning a September canoe trip to Temagami, actually planning on going to the fall gathering on Obabika with my wife, but we are celebrating our 25th this year, so we're heading to Europe for 2 weeks on a Mediterrean cruise.
Perhaps I can sneak away in August. My usual canoe partner got married last September, scuttling our Temagami trip last fall, and is becoming a father this spring, so I don't think he'll be able to get away for a while.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi TSM

Yes, I referenced the 1895, described it poorly

And, its just "what I was told"... I'll get the scoop when I get in there!

I'm glad to here you have a busy summer, and are
mixing all the right priorities. Congrats to both of you on 25th.

You know, your Ishpatina trip report is still one of my faves.

Happy Paddling.

Sundown
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 295

Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Quote from Brian"
Hillbilly, then had the portages received much use? Were they obvious and easy to follow?}

I can not remember ever having any problem then. It seemed to be a smooth trip that I remember.

Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on March 12, 2008)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home