Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Logging/Mining in Van Nostrand Twp < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tim_buck_two

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello - examining some of the maps on timfor.com, there appears to be logging planned just east of Anvil lake in Van Nostrand Twp (see http://www.timfor.com/files/AllocMaps/VanNostrand1 21_aws_20K.pdf for example). Was curious if the planned access is through the park and by Anvil lake via what people are calling Cooke Lake road or by some other means (or has this logging alrady taken place)?

Are the logging companies actually allowed to cut through the park? Same question for mining - there appears to be new (2007) mining claims in Van Nostrand also ... can mining companies use roads going through the park?

Thanks,

tim_buck_two
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tim buck two

I believe Allen at Temiskaming Forest Alliance
could answer that.

If you receive an answer, let us know?

Thanks

Sundown

(Message edited by sundown on March 15, 2008)
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 90

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I doubt they would spend more money on a new road. They'll probably extend the existing road to reach the area which means more incursions into the canoeing country around there.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 122

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The TFAI webpage indicates that Van Nostrand 121 is in the 2008-2009 Annual Work Schedule. That means they plan to cut it between April 1, 2008 and March 31, 2009. That area will be accessed by an extension of the Van Nostrand Road, which crosses the Montreal River upstream of Mowat Landing. Roads in the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Park are not available for logging or mining access.

See http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/newsbriefs -068.htm for an article on this allocation.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 211

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Resource extraction has and always will be a way of life in the "north".
The local (national?)lumber industry is in financial ruin.
It sure must be tough to make a decent living in the north ,and still live where you really want to live?

Mining is once again a viable alternative.
Mining = $

I heard that there is gold in them thar hills ?
Diamonds too?

Link to this message

tim_buck_two

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks fellows somehow I missed the mentioned article on the planned VN Twp. cut (nice lighting in the photo from Maple Mountain showing the proposed cut area!).

Agreed it must be tough trying to make a go of it (forestry especially now) ... I grew up in the 70s in Temagami and saw first hand both sides of the fence, with Dad working at Sherman mine but firmly attached to his canoe and love of the wild.

What kind of shape is the Cooke road in now? Searching the archive it seems from a few posts it is considered more an ATV trail fairly far north of Anvil?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 861

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is definitely only an ATV trail, if still that. There was at least one homemade bridge in there many years ago. Don't know if the gas crowd still does "highway" maintenance back there.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hard to say as Brian says.
I was there last in 1983 and it did look like a regular road then!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home