Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Obabika Lake Access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just wondering if it's possible to park at Emerald Lake (near the trailer park) and portage into Pond Lake, then into the South end of Obabika.
Are these portages still in use?
Is this a practical alternative to driving that awful road to Wawiagami Lake?

Thanks
MicMac
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 560

Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know if those portages have been used lately.
I keep thinking I should try to locate the one at the north end of Emerald that runs along the 805 and then goes into
Pond Lake, but I keep forgetting to do so.

Brian might jump in here. I recall him discussing this a while ago.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 126

Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I betcha they're heavily used as a snowmobile trail. Do they come out right at the Lodge?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 865

Posted on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portage from Emerald to Pond is a nice little road. You can actually drive to the Pond put-in and park nearby.

The second portage is there too. It crosses the Obabika Lodge property. Occasionally portagers aggravate the owner when large groups come through. However, the portage preceded the property creation and continues to be used occasionally, so there is still a portage right.

The snowmobile trail, used by locals, takes a long route around the properties.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 28

Posted on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So is this a viable alternative for a put-in without driving all the way to Wawiagama?
If so, this will be my new access point...

MicMac
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 866

Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Absolutely, if you don't mind walking through the middle of the lodge property. Much easier on your vehicle and faster to get on the water.
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very intereted in this "new" route to Obabika.

Am I correct in understanding that we put in at Pond and paddle to the Obabika Lodge property and cut across their property?

And the road is the 805?

Should we contact the Obabika Lodge and ask for permission and how is the parking at Pond?

Looking for a new trip this year; have done the Mowat Landing to Maple Mountain/Frank's Falls trip three years runnning now!

Tried the Old Growth Trail about 5 years and want to go back, have some limitations to portages this time round... I think they call it ageing bodies!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 567

Posted on Monday, June 2, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A fellow traveller pointed out the road to Pond for me, but I still haven't tried to use it.
Maybe later this year.
It is still a long paddle up to the top of the Lake when you do make it into the South Bay by the Lodge, but with a good tail wind you can do it in 4 and a bit hours solo.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 897

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hwy 805 will take you to the Pond Lake cutoff. Yes, you can park at Pond and the 150 yard one-lane drive is easy. The landing on Pond is flooded due to beaver activity, but is rarely used (by humans) and accessible by the universal water device canoe.
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In August I was planning to use the access at Obabika via route 805, through to Chinaman's bay.
I was planning to saty on Obabika. Does anyone have tips on prefered sites on Obabika?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 914

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You almost can't go wrong on Obabika as there are so many great sites.
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian.
We will be accessing Obabika from the southern tip and head north. I got permission from the Obabika Lodge folks to park my car there as the lodge is closed for the 2008 season. We typically set up a base camp and explore as much as possible the lake we stay on. The north end of the lake has the Old Growth trails correct? Anything else you can share. I bought Hap's book but it's light on details for Obabika.
Cheers.
Ged Seguin
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 917

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, old growth is at the north end and Alex Mathias lives there. There's lots of info and maps on the main Ottertooth pages on Alex, old growth, Spirit Rock, grandparent rocks, etc. Go there and do a search for Obabika.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home