Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Trethewey/Makobe/Bank Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi all
just posted on myccr.....looking for info. on above....want to head into that area first week after Civic Holiday weekend 08 but neve been to Temagami before....we are an experienced family of 4 our kids are 15 and 13....1)question I have are renting canoes I see Auld Reekie is close by? any one use them before or any other place enroute.....2) what the Beauty Lake road like to Gamble that time of year, we hav a 4X4 and where to park Hap has its limited at Gamble......3) whats that creek like heading east into Trethewey that time of year.....4) any suggestions on good sites....we like to swim and see the stars.....just wann veg a few days in solitude...thanks in advance scott
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 868

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The conditions on abandoned roads (ie. from Beauty Lake south) varies year by year and depends heavily on how they fair in spring, so it is too early to know.

Creek conditions are dependent on rain so it is impossible to say now, though most water levels slowly decline over the summer. It is best to ask here again a week or two before you leave.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

smak

I can get you in there. i know that waterway system well... the Auld Reekie folks are very valued friends of mine... if your trip comes to fruition, I shall help.

I can definately say it is "precious water" there.

Sundown
 Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks sundowner....just researchin topo maps and ording them......love your help....scott
 Link to this message

bilhenry

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

smak,

I have been into the Trethewey/Makobe/Banks Lakes three times over the past seven years. It is one of the more remote places, due in large part to the difficulty in getting into and out of there.

As Brian indicates above, you cannot count of driving to Gamble Lake, though it is possible. On the most recent trip we came out of Makobe from the series of portages, lakes and stream that pass south of Trethewey, and we reached the North Lady Evelyn River at Elissa Lake. At that time the road was being used by ATV's but there was no sign of a regular vehicle having been there for some time.

Accessing the Trethewey and Makobe area from Beauty Lake would most likely take you two days of hard portaging and ascending the small stream against the current. Even if there is enough water to float your canoe you will end up walking and pulling because of the tight bends that seem to go on forever. Most of the portages are relatively short and of little difficulty, but because the route is not used much we found a number of fallen trees to be cleared, slowing our progress. All of the portages were marked at that time, except for one. We found no other campsites along this route except the ones marked on the Canoeing in the Temagami Area map. At least you should not have much competition for these.

Trethewey has several campsites, though the two best ones were taken over by the folks at the former Long Point Airways for fly-in fishing and hunting camps. The other campsites were not really that great. One on a small, low island was practically at water level because of the beaver dam at the lake outlet. We looked for the two small sites shown on the Canoeing map at the north end of Trethewey on two different years, but could not find a strong sign of a campsite in either place. My guess is that they were marginal and have not been used in years, so they have grown up.

We have not been back in there since Long Point stopped flying. If someone has taken over Long Point's use of the fly-in sites you may have company on the lake in the form of fisherpeople with motorboats.

The series of portages that lead from the NE corner of Trethewey into Makobe is moderately difficult, and because of limited use you may find some trees down and the trails brushy. Depending upon how fast you portage you should count on at least 1/2 day for this section. There are some truly beautiful sights along this route, from little visited lakes to a wide stream passing through a boggy tamarack forest to a nice trailside waterfall. The last time I did this route the first portage (80 m) was eliminated by beavers having dammed up the stream. We just lifted over. The second (380 m) and third (400 m) portages have very boggy places. The third portage ends at a small, mysterious cove, deep in the forest, from which you will paddle along an unmarked, brushy route, to the wide stream that takes you to the last portage. Seems like you will definitely get lost and never find your way out, but there is only one way for your canoe to go until you hit the broader stream.

Banks Lake and Makobe Lake are large lakes with some really nice campsites. Caught some lake trout on Makobe. On an 8 day trip into this area we saw one solo canoeist and one camp group heading to the Makobe River.

All in all, this is a great area for doing what you want to do, but if you don't have the time in your schedule to get there and back I recommend saving it for a longer trip.
 Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks bihenry.....think i'm goin to speak to sundown and mayb have a alternate plan....scott

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home