Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Portelance Rd and the Sturgeon R < Previous Next >

Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning a trip to Ishpatina followed by a run down the Sturgeon R. It is planned for mid July. I have a couple of questions for the "experts" of this area.

Is portelance Rd passable with a small pick-up truck and trailer in July?

Does anyone know of any outfitters that offer a shuttle to the portelance sturgeon crossing?

What is the typical condition of the Sturgeon in July? Are the rapids runnable?

Thanks, Zed
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 869

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have heard that the Portelance Road was no longer passable by an on-road vehicle as of late summer last year.

Try Temagami Outfitting for a shuttle.

The Sturgeon is runnable in July. It takes some pretty dry conditions for it not to be runnable in that month.
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is the condition of Beauty Lake Rd to the access point on the Montreal River? Is it passable by an on-road vehicle?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 873

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is passable.
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Brian, it looks like your the only one who is interested in answering my questions. I was hoping you could answer a few more and maybe offer a suggestion or 2.

I want to see Ishpatina then run the Sturgeon R to either Matamagasi or Wawiagama. The Portelance Rd would be the ideal access point for this trip.

The Montreal R access would make it nearly impossible to get back to my car after the trip. (about 2000km X2 cars to get it done)

Does anyone offer a shuttle up the Portelance to the Sturgeon that you have heard of? Or do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks a million. Zach
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 876

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have already mentioned shuttles and the condition of the Portelance in a message above.

You could consider flying to Smoothwater Lake (not sure if planes are allowed into Scarecrow, so ask the air service) from Temagami or Azilda. You could also get the plane to pick you up at Wawiagama or Matagamasi, then you could still paddle back to your car at one of those spots. Planes are expensive though.

If you had enough time you could do a complete loop and wouldn't need a shuttle.

Ishpatina is an awkward place to get to, but that is part of the joy.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 93

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Planes do fly into Scarecrow (I flew in in the late 90's with Lakeland)
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks a lot for the information.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 165

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I left my list at the lake..but I know Scarecrow isn't off limits to aircaft. There's only two or three spots that are, in the entire Temagami "outback" and a PPR lake.

(Message edited by irishfield on April 18, 2008)
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have looked into flying in to Scarecrow but the cost is beyond my budget ($750 for 2 guys, gear and canoe).

I think I have employed someone with a truck and an ATV to shuttle me into the Sturgeon via Portelance Rd.

On another note will an Kevlar survive the trip down the Sturgeon in July if we run the rapids or should we use a more durable canoe?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 879

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you know how to run rapids, the Kevlar should be fine unless there is a drought.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home