Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Breeze Lake Loop - logging < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gsmith

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all - my first post here.

We're planning on doing this route and were hoping to explore the area by doing some hiking. Curly had mentioned in a thread on CCR that there is a road that crosses the Lebel-Lower Twin portage and that if you walk 60 m north or south of the road, that you will come across some clearcutting. We'd like to check this out - just to see how it's done and what, if anything, can be seen from the trail or lake.

We'll be camped on the point at Reuben and don't mind making a detour before we head north into the Breeze Lake section. How far into the Lebel-Lower Twin portage is this road? Or does anyone know if there might be something similar towards Paul/Breeze/Louise?

Thanks.

Geoff
 Link to this message

gone_paddling

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

From the camp site on Rueben take a short paddle out the west bay, the portage is on the north side near the end but not right at the end of the bay. There is a spring beside the portage start. The portage to Lebel should be good as I was through there last summer. Canoe around the point in Lebel portage outlet south west side of lake. If you do not want to take the canoe in you may walk around the south shore to the portage start. I have not been in there for a while.
You can go out the end of west bay on Rueben lake as the cutting comes fairly close at that point. You cannot see any real sign of cutting from the water, That is a great thing. I fancy that the depth view has been lost especially from the bay out in front of the camp site. You can hear the traffic off highway 11 clearer now than before. From the highest point in the clear cut you can look back and difinetly see the area of the bay. You would have to climb a tree if there was one to see the water.
Going out the north end of the lake into Paul the old portage trail runs parallel with the cutting for the road. The logging road had not crossed the trail last summer when I was back in there.
The portage into Black starts just across the Bay in Paul. The cliffs are quite nice, Curly knows the area better than I. When are you planning your trip in? I am trying to get in a spring trip into the area. Enjoy

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home