Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 18, 2008 * Sugar Lake Area < Previous Next >

Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi all
looks like we do not have the time this year to get to Trethewy/Makobe/Bank area.....alternative plan looks like Sugar/Angler/Goodfish......we have Haps book and Chrismar map of area but not camping sites clear?.....anyone suggest a good site for swimming?? and spend a few days thanks scott ps planning to flyin next year in spring and go down Makobe R.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 562

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

How many of you are going to this area?
 Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi ed
just our family of 4.....son 15 daughter 13....experienced.....done Petawawa, Spanish, Killarney and Noire in July.....aswell as lotta weekend trips....lookin @ this area after Civic weekend....wanna put a little distance on portage to eliminate the crowds...think Sugar fits the bill.....thanks for askin for more detail......scott
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 880

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Be careful of the Chrismar map. Many campsites in wrong locations or don't exist.
 Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes I see that....we will make sure we get in there in enough time to look around and locate them.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 563

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Smak:
I went into Goodfish, Angler and Sugar late last September entering from the West basin of Lady Evelyn Lake. The portages were all easy to locate, but they are not well used and I spent some time brushing them as I travelled.The only campsite that I stayed at was the one on Angler that is shown on the Canoe Planning Map for Temagami.The site was OK but I am not sure that the swimming from there would be of much interest to you.I did not stop at the large site on the point in Sugar Lake , but it looked pretty decent as I passed by. A large tree had either been hit with lightining and cracked off at the top or simply broken off in the wind and this was on the site, but it looked as if one could work around this impediment or at least cut some of it away and still use the site if you had a bow saw with you.

There were a lot of boats cached on Sugar Lake at the end of the portage coming in from the East basin of Lady Evelyn. There were also several boats cached in the southeast corner of Angler Lake. I suspect both these lakes get a fair bit of use during the early Spring fishing madness, but after that they are probably people free for the most part. I saw no one in late September.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have traversed through this area several times in September and have rarely seen anyone. To Ed's point there are several rather ugly boat caches, but I have never seen them used that time of year. There is a large decent site on the south end of the main part of Sugar with a sandy beach ; however I don't know what the swimming would be like - the part between there and the portage to Carpmor lake is VERY shallow in spots.

If you are going in mid/late September, as I have often done, you'll find that the crowds are very thinned out, even on the most popular routes . Don't miss the chance to do one of the classic routes like the Old Growth/Diamond Obobika loops or Maple Mountain if you have the chance.
 Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks boys
 Link to this message

bilhenry

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Sugar Lake/Goodfish Lake/Angler Lake area used to be quite peaceful, and you were unlikely to find many others in there, even at mid-season. The long portages kept all but the stout-hearted canoeists away.

Many of the boats now stashed there belong to some of the lodges on Lady Evelyn Lake. Through the summer season they send over folks for the day with lightweight motors, a lunch, and their fishing gear. The last time I was on Angler Lake a flotilla of fisherpersons invaded the lake and spent the day reeling in as many fish as they could catch. In casual conversation one sport bragged that they had caught more than 50 fish! I have landed pike and small mouth bass there, and I have heard there may be speckled trout. There is only one campsite of merit on Angler, the one to which Ed refers. It is nice but not outstanding by Temagami standards.

Despite its enticing name, I have yet to see, let alone catch a fish on Goodfish Lake. There are a couple of marginal campsites there. Nothing to get excited about.

Sugar Lake is very nice, with a couple of good campsites. My favorite spot is the island about mid-lake, maybe the one Ed reports with the downed tree. Room for several tents and good swimming on the point.

From Sugar Lake a nice day trip is to do the circuit through Goodfish Lake, Angler Lake, and back.

With a favorable wind, Sugar Lake is an easy day's paddle from Mowat Landing. With an unfavorable wind, well . . .

Link to this message

smak

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks again.....we will try for Sugar L.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home