Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Thunderboxes < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So I have read a bit about how Ontario Parks will be doing a little more maintenance in the Temagami area this year. I wonder where I could find out if they will be maintaining the portages along the Sturgeon river, whether they will be placing thunderboxes there etc.? I was wondering if I asked them pretty please could they be convinced to do this kind of maintenance. And how do they get those thunderboxes in there anyway? Do they come preassembled or do they knock them together kit form back in the bush? Do they bring some kind of logging mill back in there and mill out a couple of trees? Is there a thunderbox patent?

Pierre
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

what's a thunderbox?
 Link to this message

steven

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

an environmentally safe( we hope) toilet placed a pathway from the campsite, that's all I have to say about that...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 887

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

They commit to covering every portage in the parks. As the Sturgeon River is a park expect they will do it too. Four wardens have already started their bush patrols.

Thunderboxes are another matter. They add more every year. Suggest you contact John Salo, the superintendent, at john.salo@ontario.ca
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 300

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

pierre19,
They take them in in pieces and the reassemble them. I am not sure you will find them on the Sturgeon R. Most thunderboxes are placed in the Temagami Area by people that are not with the MNR.
Friends of Temagami, Nastawgan.ca, canoe camps and others usually put the thunderboxes in place, not the MNR.
The MNR is more concerned about collecting their fees for the park areas than putting up thunderboxes.

Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home