Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Makobe Question < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning a trip from elk lake down to Makobe over to Trethewey and ending at beauty lake road. A couple of questions if anyone would be so kind:
1) how long is it from elk lake starting down makobe river to Alexander lake? and can a very small motor boat be used? or is this strictly a canoe route.
2) what are the conditions from Trethewey to Beauty Lake Road and where at the beauty lake road is there access to Trethewey.
3) How long would you guess this route would take? We will be in 2 kayaks and either a canoe or very small boat with tiny motor.
Anything is appreciated. Thanks,
Brian
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Your answer to (1) is that you are paddling upstream all the way on Makobe River if you start at Elk Lake and paddle to Makobe Lake.
Motorboat won;t work on the river; too many shallow rapids.
You'd be better off starting at Beauty Lake Road and going downstream on Makobe to Elk Lake. (ie ; do it in reverse).
Not sure the status of portages from the Beauty Lake Road but I think they have been discussed elsewhere on this website.

There are lots of shallow rapids on the Makobe. It is best done in the spring, downstream. Upstream is possible I guess at certain times of year, but it wouldn;t be my choice!! In fact in high spring water it might be very tough, or maybe not possible to do upstream.
You can do the Makobe River from Banks Lake to Elk Lake in 2 days easily in a Kayak; at least you can during high spring water.
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, This helps a bunch! We were planning this trip for september..sounds like this trip is better in May. Going upstream would be no fun... appreciate it..
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you want some white water do it in May, not long after the ice goes out.
 Link to this message

bilhenry

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The access to Trethewey from Beauty Lake Rd. is a long portage, but not too difficult. When I was in there a couple of seasons back the trail appeared to be kept open by snowmobiles and ATVs, and it was quite boggy in places. Finding the trail from the Beauty Lake Rd. end would test your map reading skills. I say go for it!
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Bilhenry. I want to find the portae to Trethewey... With all the terrible logging thats gone on back there and all the new "roads" im not sure we will be able to find it.. but will give it a go.. Thanks. Brian
 Link to this message

jerryn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian
Just got back from doing the Makobi July 5th.
We assessed from below Kaa Lake, down the North Lady Evelyn, up the Gray then down the Malobi.
7 days. The water levels were 2 feet higher than usual. Great ride, Portages ruff.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 910

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Couldn't have been a better year to do the Makobe. What do you mean the portages were rough: their character, or the maintenance?
 Link to this message

jerryn

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Portages were well maintained,some could have had markers or better markers. Especially at the Elk lake camp ground. Haps book helped a lot and we found them all. As far as rough ,its just the boulders I was always thinking of a twisted or broken ankle But what a beautiful trip.
P.S. The owners at Elk lake Cabins were very helpful in finding our put in ,went with us and used his GPS to locate it through all the back roads.
Jerry
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 911

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Which put-in did you use?
 Link to this message

jerryn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think it was the second culvert past Kaa, The first had to be 4x4 over and the second was totally washed out. The road its self was overgrown by alders in some sections to a 3 foot trail that the truck was able to push out of the way. The Lady evelyn was narrow but no log jams. and it was like a ride at disney. lots of water and twists and turns
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just off lower Temagami River...
I have NEVER seen it so high in summer months..
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 319

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just talked to Alex Matias tonight and he said the water is as high if not higher than last year. Last year was one of the highest water levels he has seen. That would be 50+ yrs. It is still raining at least every other day.

Bill
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been down the lower Temagami River 20 + times. I've never seen it so high this time of year.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is a shot taken just above Island Falls, Temagami River last week
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 921

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lots of agua, but nice shot too.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home