Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Just back from Lady Evelyn - 6 days < Previous Next >

Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nowhere near the route we planned, but that's fine by me. It would have involved more cold and wet than I'm willing to deal with. In at Mowat's, down to the N Branch, daytrip to Centre Falls, back to Mowat. 4 travel days, 1 dry-out day, one day-trip day.

Personal first, bear sighting in the wild. It was crossing the river between Frank's & Centre.

For my first Temagami trip, awesome. Those portages are a big bag of flaming...well I understand it keeps the traffic down and at least they're short.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atripamonth/sets/7215 7604968464729/
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 139

Posted on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great photos Preacher. The "Lady" is a beautiful river! The portages are insane, but make the trip interesting!
How's the new canoe......any scratches yet?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 884

Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's a lot of water pouring over Centre Falls. Did you go for a swim?
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swim! Ha! Water is 10c and we got plenty wet and cold from the rain.

Yeah, I saw some photos of Hillbilly's of Centre Falls in the summer. Big difference.

My bowman is calling me Scratchmaster D because I'm not afraid to scuff up the canoe. Nothing deep. When the choice is cold wet feet or a scrape, the canoe loses.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 299

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great pics. I loved the one with the black bear. Hope you had a great tip. Hope to meet you some day and talk about your trip.

Bill
 Link to this message

steven

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

a great spot , looking forward to seeing it this June...Hopefully I'll have some pics for you all to compare as the season develops
Steve
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 566

Posted on Monday, June 2, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice Pics preacher. I thought you had travelled in Temagami before, as another persona?
You must have been in there just after ice-out this year.
It really is quite different, than during the summer months.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 3, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There was still snow & ice in the bush and on the shady shores. Nights were cold, not bad, but cold. Days were alternating cold rain and windy warm.

This is old news now! I'll be posting my weekend trip on AA tonight or tomorrow. More pictures and pics of trout!

I was at Obabika for the CoS a couple years back. For folks that don't know yet, I'm flyrod. Boo! I don't really count CoS as a Trip with a capitol T. We drove to the lake. Paddled a whopping 3 km? A great weekend, but not quite a Trip. Lower case t, a nice trip.

(Message edited by Preacher on June 3, 2008)

(Message edited by Preacher on June 3, 2008)
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, June 3, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Speaking of trout...
The new 2008 regs say ZERO specks (possession limit) over 12 inches for a conservation licence and one over 12 inches for the regular licence. That is a BIG chnage.. (you can still catch up to 5 fish a day if they are under 12 inches.)
It should help the breeding stock in the river if people comply.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home