Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Supplier of traditional Wanigans and Tumps? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone know of a manufacturer / supplier of traditional canoe tripping gear?
I had occasion to trip with a partner who uses a Wanigan, and I think he's got me convinced to give one a try...

He made his himself, but due to time constraints, I'd rather buy one.

However, no luck with finding a supplier, thus far. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 885

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Having grown up with traditional tripping, I am fussy. I never liked any of the ones I saw, and not having a shop to build my own, I improvised with a trip to Canadian Tire. I picked up some Rubbermaid Roughnecks, the big ones. Instant, cheap, light (but Micmac, I'll bet you don't have an issue with weight) and waterproof, if you don't take them for a swim. The downside is they don't last forever and the tump slides around too much. But since I mostly solo, I don't use them a lot anymore.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 129

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami Canoe Co sells tumps. I've never heard of a commercial wannigan manufacturer though. Let's get together sometime this summer for a weekend and we'll both make a wannigan in John's shop! I've wanted one for years.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I might try Glen Toogood who is a canoe builder and caretaker at Camp Wabun. He builds the Wannigans used by the camp and he provided the specs for one we built a few years ago.

He does private canoe building as Garden Island Canoe Co. and may be interested.
 Link to this message

skippy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

FYI I guess, it still doesn't help micmac but thought i would post it anyway.
http://nwwoodsman.com/Articales/Wannigan.html
I have been searching for this type of info for the last week or so. Looking to go on a small trip in the near future myself but i am a little green....ok ok VERY green.

(Message edited by Skippy on May 13, 2008)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 886

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Glen used to make tumps too. Worth finding out if he still does. He may also know a good source. Keewaydin used to sell them out of the store and may still. Nice tumps.

Woodsman's wannigan is very similar to those used in Temagami by the traditional camps: Keewaydin and Wabun. He mispronounces wannigan in his video, but nice effort nonetheless.

His wannigan tump knot is the same as Keewaydin's, which is the old aboriginal way. Here's an excerpt from my book, The Keewaydin Way:
http://www.ottertooth.com/keewaydin/admin_K/sample 1.pdf

His canoe tump video shows a method I have seen once before. Not very common, but works.
 Link to this message

tumpseeker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am looking for a canoe tump like we used to use for portages....any leads for me?
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Another supplier of traditional canoeing gear
http://www.poleandpaddle.com/tump.html
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 565

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Micmac:
There were some lengthy discussions on ccr about wanigans sometime last year. Try to google the thread to see if you can find it.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home