Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Route Question for old guys that know.. < Previous Next >

Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am considering 5-6 day trip with my daughter (inexpereinced but very willing) at end of Aug. I want her to experience the intrigue of Temagami, but not too kill her doing it(or me). I was thinking of making it quite simple and putting in at Mowats Landing, leisurely travelling down the Lady Evelyn into Sucker Gut, Hobbart Lake and maybe hiking up the tower. First part of the question i) is this doable in 5-6days considering experience? ii) is this really reallt busy during the week say last week of Aug?
If someone has something other to offer, I am all ears....I just want it feel like she is away, but don't want to sour her by just trying to survive....know what I mean?

thanks

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 133

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

How old is your daughter?

i) yes, could do it in 3-4 even
ii) yes, busy route, busy time of year
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oops...yes I should have said she is 18. When you busy do you mean no where to setup camp busy as in no sites? or that we will see other paddlers but should still be able to find a campsite?

If super busy, do you have a novice route suggestion?
wmac
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 301

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Normally you should not have a problem finding a campsite within the area that you had planned on camping. You may see other paddlers and possibly many motor bats with fisher people. The trip can be easily done in 5 to 6 days.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 888

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The only place where you might have trouble finding a campsite is on Hobart Lake. But I expect you will be okay in the last week of August.
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. It is reassuring that we should be able to find campsites. I am planning on going in on the sunday and camping during the week, so that too will hopefully keep us out of the weekend rush too.
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think this is a wonderful trip to use as an introduction into the amazingness of Temagami canoeing!

I can provide you with some gps co-ords if you are interested... our preferred sites and the trailhead to Maple Mountain...
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cascade,
We do not have GPS but would love your input as to where good sites, etc are on which lakes. THat would be a great help. You can email me directly at ws_maclean@yahoo.ca if you wish. I would appreciate any insights, tips, suggestions.
Thanks in advance Wmac

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home