Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * River and Sky music festival canoe trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 426

Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Friends of Temagami is proud to be a sustainability partner with the River and Sky Music and Camping Festival this year. I'm happy to be coordinating a family-friendly canoe trip for the two, July 15-19. The festival is held on the Sturgeon River between River Valley and Field, July 19-21. So the canoe trip will start a few days upstream and paddle down to the festival.

My family will be going (mom, dad, 2 boys age 4.5 and 2). We're looking for other people to join us, really anyone who wants to go on a slow-paced trip in the lower Sturgeon River area in mid-July, or anyone who wants to paddle in to a music festival. People could join us from the beginning, or at any point along the route if they wish. If you are interested, please let me know.

I also want to ask some advice on our planned route. I've considered a few routes:

Island Lake down the Temagami River to River Valley
Lower Goose Falls to River Valley
Murray Lake-Chiniguchi River-Sturgeon-River Valley

The best route (I think) is the Murray Lake option. Do you think that the lower Chiniguchi River/Murray Creek is suitable for little kids? Are there any highlights I should know about, beaches, etc. Any hazards?

More on the festival at riverandsky.ca
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sounds like a nice trip.
it's been a long time since we've been down (actually it was up) murray creek, but in decent water levels it should be ok. as i remember it's a narrow winding creek with some b.d.'s/log jams to pull over, maybe a bit of tracking if it gets shallow.
last time we were there we saw a bear cub up in a tree.
there used to be a hunting camp at the portage from the creek into murray lake, coming from the lake you might have to scout around a bit to find the trail.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1546

Posted on Friday, June 21, 2013 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If nothing else, Murray and Island lakes are the easiest put-ins to get to, compared to the drive to Lower Goose.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 429

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback, I think Murray is the way to go. Anyone been down there recently? How are the portages?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1247

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might ask the Kukagami connection about the condition of Murray Creek.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home