Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through June 27, 2013 * ALERT-Missing Person Daniel Trask * Archive through May 24, 2013 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

njschmidt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Trask family, I grew up with Dan right from kindergarden all the way through high school. We were very close in our younger days but slowly lost touch through high school. Dan was always a great friend to me and when I heard about his adventure into the woods and that he hasn't come home yet I wanted to reach out.
I spent 4 years in the military and by no means am I a great woodsman but they taught me a lot of good survival skills. If I can be of any help out there let me know. I've caught myself up on all the forum posts and its very exciting to hear that so many organizations are trying to look for Dan. One that I didn't see were any military units and I was quite surprised by that. There are military units out there who's skill set is Recon and tracking. Might be worth putting a feeler out to them to see if they would want to do an excersise in the area to help look for Dan. New eyes in the woods is never a bad thing. That's my two cents, I'm back in the waterloo region now and if I can help at all I'm there for Dan not a problem.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 196

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

njschmidt: Thanks for your post, we have heard from a number of Daniel's friends from school and hockey days. We had not considered military for ground search, but sounds like it might be an option. We did have a Sudbury SAR air team who conducted a search last January as a training exercise, nothing found, but still very helpful, every effort helps.

Please email us your contact information to Find Dan so we can discuss further with you. We appreciate your support and help to find Daniel.
 Link to this message

farmerluke

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, I've been following your posts, I'm hoping you find him or some sign of him. Don't loose faith,
Good Luck
 Link to this message

beechdriver

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Trask

Planning my first trip to Temagami in June. We will likely be doing the Obabika Lk./Wakimika/Nasmith Creek/Obabika River loop.

Just wanted you to know we will have your latest flyer/fact sheet with us and will be keeping an eye out. It's a ways off yet, and a bit out of range, but you never know.

Rest assured there are MANY who are following this thread. Don't stop updating, even if it's sometimes just a thread bump.

Bryan
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 197

Posted on Sunday, March 3, 2013 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: 16 months now since Daniel went missing. No news, we know everyone in the area is looking for Daniel. Keep spreading the word everyone! Toast to Daniel from Cuba, he loved it here.

Link to this message

swiftraven

Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there, firstly I want to say very sorry for your loss.

Secondly I haven't posted here in a while (previously under SWIFT) but have been lurking.

This thread is quite extensive, and though worth the read I feel you might benefit more or better if you could post a summary post of some sort. One for new comers to read and get all the facts. I would suggest by starting with maps. I did see one eventually of where his items were found...) But is there one showing where he was parked? Is there a route he normally goes, gone before? I gather he was snowshoeing? In November? What was November like that year? I've canoed as late as December. So was there open water? Was there snow? Was it deep, or easily travelled? How fit was he? How far would he normally travel in a day? What did he pack in with (if known)? Things like that all together instead of added throughout in a long thread I think would be more helpful. (If there IS one, sorry about that, but I couldn't find it.) And time frames, when did he leave. When was he last seen? When did the alarm go out? When did they search? Where has been searched already? And what kind of search in those areas? Shorelines? Interiors? Off trails? Etc etc.

Some of these I have found out through out the thread, but I am just saying if you were to recount all the above in a collective, new comers could read it, and maybe do a search of their own? Or if they were in the area, know where to take some time and look? Or make an effort for a side trip?

Again, if this already exists, then sorry for the above babble. And could you direct me to such a place? As I'd like to do my part, and maybe "paddle or hike with purpose".

Again, sorry for your loss, and I hope you find closure in all of this, and I hope you have had and will continue to get good support.

Best wishes, Andrew

(Message edited by SWIFTRAVEN on March 17, 2013)
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 198

Posted on Monday, March 18, 2013 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

beechdriver: Thanks for letting us know about your trip plans and that you will keep an eye out for signs of Daniel, the more who know, the better chance of finding him.

swiftraven (Andrew), appreciate your wishes and your thoughts. Your suggestion is a very good idea; a summary timeline would be helpful, would certainly pull everything together and make it easier for others to catch up. I hope to put effort into this and will post, my energy and emotional meter has been running low, needs a recharge.

Most of the areas searched or still targeted are very remote, and difficult to get into (heights, bogs, no trails, etc.). Safety of others and ourselves is paramount to the search efforts. The OPP have played a major roll in coodinating search efforts whenever something has been found, such as Daniel's car and winter clothing. If something of significance is found again, they will be involved again. We have had great support and assistance from all involved.

Our communications have focused on informing those in the area of being aware and alert for any unusual or possible signs when in this area. Spring planning is beginning, more to follow.

This discussion thread originally started to gain information and leads, suggested by the OPP. It grew into a log of updates to communicate progress and tremendous support from this community - never thought it would be carrying on this long...
 Link to this message

campingcanoeist

Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 9:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Trasker,

I have been following your forum since Daniel went missing.. I met him in Temagami two summers ago while leading a canoe trip of highschool students. My heart goes out to your family while your search for Daniel continues. I was in Temagami last summer again and have seen the posters in many places within and surrounding the park. I'm continuing to do my part by spreading the word about Daniel and when I am in Temagami this summer I will continue to search for any signs of Daniel. He was most definitely resourceful and seemed to love the outdoors just as much as I do, he even tagged along with our group for a few days down a more difficult route that he hadn't done before. For some people, and it seems for Daniel, there is no where else they'd rather be then deep in the wilderness. Though it has been a long time since there have been any signs of Daniel, I am forever hopeful that he shows another sign that he is alive and well.

Good luck with your search and never lose hope!

Kate
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 199

Posted on Thursday, April 4, 2013 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: 17 months since Daniel went missing on Nov. 3, 2011. Another Easter without Daniel has passed, difficult time for us. We are not aware of anyone seeing or hearing from him since that date. I was hoping to have a search summary ready for this posting, but not there yet. It's amazing how quickly a year goes by and notes get piled up, sometimes jumbled up - I'm usually more organized... In the meantime, keep spreading the word that Daniel is out there somewhere. As a reminder:

What to look for:
- Grey/White Atlas aluminum Snowshoes, Size 9
- White zip Hoodie, Grey sweat pants
- Orange T-shirt as shown in picture (see photo below)
- Black T-shirt with Indian/Wolf on front (see photo below)
- Black Backpack, Black/Limegreen Gloves
- Creative rock structures, stone or wood carvings, wood chopping, oddities or items out of place.

If you spot anything, do not disturb or move it:
- If you can, take a picture and note its GPS coordinates
- Immediately, contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122

Reflecting on our 2012 search:
Last fall we conducted our last search in 2012 with assistance from the MNR, extending beyond the area that the OPP searched, thinking Daniel may have been walking back to Camp Wanapitei, but nothing more was found. The clothing found in May were in a fairly straight line. If headed north, first his hat/scarf, then his jacket, then his snow pants would have been removed. In retrospect, this makes more sense then the other way around, but we needed to check out all possibilities.

Planning our 2013 search:
We now need to focus on the possibility that Daniel continued to go north of where his clothing was found, understanding the probability of hypothermia. He might have been heading for the caves he mentioned, or attempting to return to Maple Mountain which he travelled to in July 2011. He may have been wandering aimlessly, but further than the norm.

There is a small part of the NE arm of Diamond L. we need to check, south of where the OPP searched, to finish off this area. Then, we hope to establish home base on the very north end of this arm. This will make it much easier and safer than trying to tent it during the searches.

The following waters that were identified in earlier posts are still possibilities; they fall within this area, and will need to be searched. Anyone been to any of these?
- Crowley L.
- Cleary Pond (292)
- Klutz L.
- No name shown (296)

We will also be checking the spot where Daniel mentioned "tomb like caves", which is between Willow Island Lake (289) and 296. There is a portage marked in this area, This is as far north as our search plans go at this time. Although an early spring trip to Maple Mtn was in the works, this will need to be put off until later. Ice out will dictate when we can get started with our search. Last year Don went up April 29th and were hoping for an early start this year too. But, it snowed today in Temagami, snowed here in Waterloo yesterday, so may be a lot longer wait.

Once again, if anyone is in or near this particular area, please let us know. This will help reduce the number of areas we still need to check. Although we are focused on this specific area, please be mindful when you are in the Temagami backcountry. As time goes on, our challenge is keeping the message out there.

I will post the search summary and map as soon as it's ready, still confirming GPS locations with the OPP. In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions you may post here or email directly. Thanks again for all your help and support you are giving us, making our journey much easier. We've had a number of great folks offer to help us with our searches and we'll be getting back to them, once our dates are more firm.

Kate: When Daniel came home that summer, he told us about you and your group. He truly enjoyed tagging along on that difficult route, learning as he went, since this was a new experience for him. You are bang on; he loved it up there and we appreciate your kind words and support.

FYI, I'm still trying to get ahold of canoebear, the email address on this forum does not work. If anyone can let him know, I can be reached at find.dan@rogers.com

Link to this message

gpsat

Posted on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am from Timmins ON and plan to spend some time in the park working with a good friend of mine who has spent a lifetime exploring there. To Daniel's family, I hope to meet you in the park this summer.

James Browne
GPSAdventureTouring.ca

(Message edited by gpsat on April 15, 2013)
 Link to this message

tptasinski

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I met Daniel when I was bartending in Waterloo during university. I remember his beautiful spirit and kind heart well. When I picked up a readers digest and saw his face I was so saddened by his story. I am part of an outdoors/hiking/camping club that go through ontario. Although I rarely get up north due to work myself, I will be sure that all 1600 members of my group are aware and alert when in Temagami.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 203

Posted on Friday, May 3, 2013 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: 18 months and still no reported signs of Daniel. So, we are preparing to go up for our spring search. The warm weather is a gift from Mother Nature in helping ice out. We are finalizing approvals with the MNR and are fortunate to have someone offer their cabin to us, on the farthest part of the NE arm of Diamond Lake, in Obabika River Provincial Park. This puts us right in our search area; we are blessed by this family's generosity, Todd Chunick, also a firefighter brother, who contacted us and offered us his cabin to use as home base when he heard Daniel's story.

After further discussion with my hubby, the OPP and MNR, the historical searching is somewhat irrelevant once Daniel's winter clothing was found in May 2012. Prior to this, it was just our best guess, to get started to search the Camp Wanapitei area. So, for our search this year, knowing OPP search was conducted within 800m of his clothing, we need to extend beyond where Daniel's winter clothing was found. Last year we assumed Daniel was headed SE, back to the camp, so we spent the remainder of the summer and fall focusing on this area. However, it now makes sense based on the order of his winter clothing and the fact we did not find anything further, that he was likely headed north. For the location of his winter clothing, UTM converted to Lat/Long:

Jacket/Scarf: UTM 17T-0558903 5230670 Lat/Long 47.22687498840991, -80.22191968646747

Snow Pants: UTM 17T-0558874 5230717 Lat/Long 47.22730047503165, -80.22229654059095

So, assuming he was headed north, the area we plan to search this year and where others should be aware of is within 5km of his winter clothing, going beyond the OPP search area. 5km is likely the furthest Daniel would have travelled if he had hypothermia. Understanding there is nothing very scientific about this search, it's simply based on our assumptions of how far Daniel would go and the assumption that he was headed north. FYI, a map showing this area along with updated communcation card/flyer will be available shortly. We are finalizing logistics and authorizations, but hope to get up there for the May long weekend.

Why are we doing this search? Daniel lives through us each day. We are not so nieve to think he is still with us, but he has put us on this path, we must follow through, not knowing where this journey will take us, trying to find meaning. Love, family, friends, faith, hope, gives us strength. We lit a candle tonight for Daniel and listened to Spirit Earth, warm enough to sit outside, under the stars. Daniel's spirit is out there, somewhere.

gpsat (James): Thank you for posting Daniel's story on your site and yes, please do stop in if you are up there. We'll be updating this forum with our activity.

tptasinski: You describe Daniel very well, he loved working the bars and making many friends, his smile and openness well known by those who knew him. If your group finds their way to Temagami, let us know, it would be great to have their assistance and connect.
 Link to this message

gpsat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2013 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chances are you might see me on the long weekend. I am looking to change my original plans and head that way.

James Browne
GPSAdventureTouring.ca
 Link to this message

mic_mp

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As summer is beginning, I have passed on the flyer to many folks who will share the word with their connections who travel to the area.
As always, you and the family and Dan are always in my thoughts and heart.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 204

Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: Week 79 Ice break-up was on May 8, earlier than my guess of May 12, early Mother's Day gift!

To Brian:
"Thanks" so much for the News Brief Trask Search Resumes about our search plans for Daniel and posting his updated Flyer. We appreciate the tremendous assistance and support, couldn't do it without you and Ottertooth! We remain hopeful that something more will be found, and that we will get answers this year.

The current plan is to go up on Sat. May 18, get settled insto the cabin and then search until the following Saturday. Depending if anything is found, that will dictate our plans from that point on. In response to gpsat (James) or others: If your plans are to be in this area, just let us know.

We appreciate the assistance from mic_mp (Michelle), Carolyn, Mike, Don, Sharon, and many others who are helping to get the updated flyer out there. In 2 days, nearly 1,600 people have shared Daniel's flyer on FB, amazing! The youth camps, lodges and services within the area have been emailed the updated flyer who will be advising their staff and leaders, again helping to spread continued awareness that Daniel is still missing, somewhere out there.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1530

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2013 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As a parent, I admire your strength. I am sure Daniel, wherever he is, knows how lucky he is to have you as his family.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 206

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2013 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Update: Guys are all packed up, ready to leave early tomorrow. Don, my brother Charlie and Mike will be going up for one week, getting the cabin setup and then start searching. I will be posting updates as things unfold.

brian: We are regular parents thrown into an unknown journey, just doing what you or any other parent would do - anything possible to find your loved one. Daniel is the strong one, his desire and determination gives us strength to carry on.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 207

Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 1: The guys headed to Temagami at 5am this morning. I just got a call from Don, all is well. Drive up went well, were parked in Camp Wanapitei lot by 11am. Then, loaded up and rode to Sharp Rock (tks to Jim Sanderson and MNR), then transfered stuff to a boat (tks to Rick Lockhart) and our canoe (same one Daniel used in his May-Sept solo in 2011). They had a smooth trip up the NE arm of Diamond to the cabin (tks to Todd Chunick).

Cabin was intact, got setup and hooked up. Except for a few mice in the cabin and a skunk outside, no bears, all is well. Guys are calling it a night. They plan to start the search tomorrow.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 208

Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 2: To set the record straight, they were stringin' me along, no skunk, unless you want to call it a human skunk! Rain started last night and for most of today, so day was spent cleaning up the site and getting everything working. Searching will start tomorrow with the high spot mentioned earlier.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 209

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 3: The rain continued today, off and on. They searched part of the high point, nothing found.

Today was a tough one for me with one year since Daniel's winter clothing was found. It sure would be a relief to find something more.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 210

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 4: OK, so for those of you that remember what a record is, I'm sounding like a broken one... Guys are fine, it's wet and cool, lots of rain.
 Link to this message

fallguy1000

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 1:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hope you get a break in the weather.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 211

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 5: No break in the weather, lots of water, slippery in the bush, and boat filling from downpour. The good news is the cabin and grounds are in tip top shape. Bring on the sun!
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 212

Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 6: Mother nature wants our guys to experience the full range of weather including some hail, snow and below zero temps. Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 213

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Search Update, Day 7: Well, the snow melted today and the ground dried off some. The week did allow them to get the camp setup, but did not offer very good search conditions due to the weather. The guys are getting packed up tonight and will be heading home tomorrow morning.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home