Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 18, 2013 * Sturgeon River Access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

cedarbark

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

I'm planning a trip on the Sturgeon River this week and would appreciate any information to help with access logistics. First off does anyone know the current state of the Portelance/Gervais Road? Is it still drivable by any car? Also does anyone know what kind of trails are present to reach Ispatina Ridge by foot from the Sturgeon? We are trying to decide whether to try from there or start from Beauty Lake Road access and paddle into Scarecrow Lake to avoid a long day of hiking (but longer shuttle).

Opinions/suggestions welcome.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1549

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gervais is an active logging road so it should be fine to use. Except, of course, for the danger of logging trucks and other users who drive too fast.
 Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was OK last year on Gervais Rd,it was in good shape to the end..Portlance I believe you can not use,there has been a wash out there approx. 5 years ago at the creek (just off Gervais where it mets ) The hunters use it still and can travel it with ATV's only and set up camp just on the other side of the wash out !
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1551

Posted on Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just to be clear to everyone, canoehead refers to a section of the old Portelance Road that is now abandoned and replaced by the Gervais.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home