Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Lady E and Temag--Aug 10-17 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

knukknu

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 8, 2013 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,
I'm new here and I admit I have not searched the threads for pertinent info. I have done quite a bit of canoeing but never in Temag. We plan on doing a route from Mowat to Lake T Aug 10-17 with a car shuttle and have a few questions:
1 How busy can I expect it to be i.e. competition for campsites
2. I understand that there a guy that can shuttle us around the dam on the Lady E river between the put-in and the lake. Any info on this? Is he always there?
3. Our initial plan was to take out in the village of Temag., but Iíve been told that the winds whip up the waves pretty good on the N-E arm and that there may be heavy motor boat traffic there. Considering this, I was thinking of taking out at the end of the Temag Access Rd. But then I was told that road is very rough , or at least t was a few years back. Anyone know the condition of that road now? Comments on this alternative take-out?

If my questions have already been answered elsewhere on this forum could you pls point me in the general direction of where to find them.
Thx for your help.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1555

Posted on Monday, July 8, 2013 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Never a sure thing, but expect competition for campsites on some nights. Getting to the campsite mid-afternoon is a good way to avoid any disappointments.
They are almost always at the dam.
The Lake Temagami Access Road condition varies with the maintenance schedule but it is always usable by cars. Yes, winds can come up, but winds are not a constant. You should expect motorboat traffic everywhere on Lake Temagami. The only way to avoid it is the backcountry.
 Link to this message

knukknu

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thx for that, Brian.

I'm now considering doing the trip in reverse i.e starting at the end of T. access rd and taking out at Mowat. I figured we'd be more likely to have the wind at our backs going that way---although I guess that violates Murphy's law of paddling!

We are not prepared to do much portaging---I think those days are behind us---so we must expect some motorboats. What I'm hoping to avoid is lots of jet-skis and big high powered boats. Should we expect those near T Island?

Could you pls clarify what you meant by:"They are almost always at the dam". Do you mean to expect empty sites or full sites at the dam?
thx
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1561

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Mitchells are almost always at the dam to shuttle boats across. Still, you are a canoeist and it is a short portage on a public right-of-way, so not sure why you would need the ride ó unless your beer will weigh you down.

In August, you should expect jet skis and fast boats and barges all around Temagami Island. You will get boats everywhere on the lake, but the worst is in the Hub (center of the lake) and up the Northeast Arm. If you want to avoid this, take out at Sandy Inlet.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/solitude.htm

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas_sandy.htm
 Link to this message

knukknu

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

bump
 Link to this message

knukknu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thx, Brian
Now it's obvious to me that you were just answering my questions in the same sequence that I asked them---Doh!!

We try to avoid long ports now that we're a bit older---more people and noise is what 'comes with the territory' I guess.

I thought I'd bump this up in case others wanted to add comments or info.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home