Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Route advice wanted < Previous Next >

Link to this message

abl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am in the process of planning my annual August trip to Temagami, and I'm running out of route ideas, so I'm asking for help.

I'm looking for a 6-7 day trip in late August.

We've done:
Florence Lake - Lady Evelyn R - Diamond
Diamond - Obabika - Bob Lake return
Temagami River to River Valley
Pinetorch Lake to Wakimika to Temagami

I've not done anything in Chiniguchi or Smoothwater. Also looking at Kokoko etc.

Any advice? We have 7 days on the water. I like to avoid Temagami and the crowded routes. Solitude is a virtue. I need to avoid technical whitewater I can't portage around, since one of our paddlers isn't up for it. Concerned about water levels in late August too. Don't mind a fly in or out, but not both (too $$$). Lately we've flown in and had a boat shuttle out.

Always wanted to do the Sturgeon, or a loop including part of the Sturgeon, although I expect the water levels are low in August and the WW may be too much for one of my paddlers.

I would love some suggestions!

Thanks,
Andrew
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Abdrew,
lots of loops in Chiniguchi. You can start/finish on Kukagami or Matagamasi. That could include part of the Sturgeon through Backdoor, Stouffer, Parson and return by Rawson or Kelly crossover. Anything above class 1 can be portaged, it should be no problem. Water levels will be anyone's guess in August, but this is a high-water year. Chiniguchi is not crowded, but you most probably will see people in Matagamasi-Chiniguchi lake corridor. Same goes for the Sturgeon, it's popular with youth camps (nice crowd).
Another option might be running the Sturgeon from Gervais landing to Pilgrim triangle and returning by Yorston, Bluesucker and Selkirk. I think this loop could be done in 7 days, though I myself would prefer 8.
Sergey
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1557

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are very unlikely to see any youth camps in Temagami in late August.

You could also fly into Florence and take the Yorston River down to Yorston Lake, then the Witch's Crossover to the Sturgeon. Unless the water is high, the only rapids you will find from there down is a short stretch below Upper Goose Falls. You would return to Lake Temagami up the Obabika River.
 Link to this message

abl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any way to check on the water levels before I go? That is perhaps my biggest concern with the Sturgeon.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1559

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yup.
http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html ?stn=02DC012

Great primer:
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/71150. html

Link to this message

abl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian. Very helpful.

We are going Aug 17th, and I know the water levels will by iffy.

I'd like to spend some time on the river, but perhaps we are best off avoiding it and just spending time on the lakes if it drops below 4 cms.

I'll watch it!

Thanks,
Andrew

(Message edited by abl on July 15, 2013)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1560

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Water is good this year (especially after these low, low years), and I think it is too early to assume it will be iffy.
 Link to this message

abl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian - you are so helpful I cannot resist asking a few more questions:

For August, which type of canoe would you bring? For whitewater, I usually paddle the Esquif Canyon which I'd avoid in lower water, since if we have to portage around stuff it is heavy.

I like a lightweight kevlar for flat water and lots of portages.

Maybe a royalite or royalex canoe that is in between - can be used to run C1's and C2's, but not so heavy as the Esquif Canyon?

Any suggestion where I can rent nearby? Sudbury perhaps? I am going to call the Sportsman Lodge to see what they rent.

Thanks a bunch.

Andrew
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1563

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Your instincts sound good on the canoes. Someone else might have a better handle on rentals on the west side or Sportsman's may be able to help.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

https://www.facebook.com/LaurentianUniversityOutdo orCenter

Try here, in Sudbury, just opened this summer!

Found a link to the centre with more info on renta
ls etc

http://luoutdoorcentre.com/
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 37

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, there is about a dozen rapids after Witch's crossover on the Sturgeon, mostly C1 in average August water, but if I remember correctly, first 2 rapids below Pilgrim's triangle are in C2 category. These two can be portaged. Down from there - I don't know if there is any portages till Upper Goose falls.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1565

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, you are correct, there are those "rapids" below the Triangle. But I would say they are "rapids" dependent on the water level.

There is no portaging from the Triangle down to Upper Goose -- unless the river were to run out of water. (These days of extreme weather, well, I have to add this.)
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 433

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Running out of route ideas? I've been paddling here for 24 years now and have yet to run out of ideas. In fact, for every route I paddle, I get at least another 2 ideas. I'll never get around to all of them.
 Link to this message

abl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly - its not so much running out of ideas as finding ideas that fit my schedule. If I had the time.....

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home