Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Misabi Lake portage conditions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ratherbecamping

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a canoe trip from Sandy Inlet through Diamond to Bob and then through the Misabi Lake area (Redtail to Misabi to Bufflehead to Nikita to Pretty to Lain Lake). Does anyone know what the Misabi Lake Area portage conditions are like? How well are they marked?

Thanks for your help!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 381

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It has been 7 years since we went through and cleared this route and I can't really say how much traffic Misabi Lake route gets so it is hard to say what the condition will be. The portages will be less worn and branch crowded, but should be well blazed. Being that this is a wet travel season the second portage will likely skirt the wetland wide to the right. Also the portage out of Misabi Lake will follow a creek, which is good as you should be able to find a put in much closer in the wetland. There will be some brush overgrowth on the road crossing into Pretty Pond which may be hard to find. It is a route less travelled but pretty straight forward. The campsite on Misabi Lake is just reward!

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/misabi-lake.ht m#map
 Link to this message

ratherbecamping

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 12, 2013 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to see the area! I will be ready to get my feet wet I guess:-)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i've noticed that "misabi lake" on maps- and was curious. anyone know what misabi means, and how did the "misabi range" come to be called that (being as it's a fair distance away from the lake of the same name)?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 382

Posted on Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Misabi refers to one of the original 14 traditional family hunting territories of the Temagami First Nations. I understand that Misabi means giant men. The Misabi Range is named as such as the route crosses over this large territory. Misabi Lake is named as such due to its close proximity to Obabika Lake, the longstanding homestead of the Misabi family.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

that's interesting, thanks.
 Link to this message

eriktheviking

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The swimming off of the rock at the site on misabi was certainly a reward! portages were still flagged, some of which we put back up as trees had fallen. We traveled west to east. In lower water levels the route would have been harder to do I'm sure. Nights were spent in this order: Diamond, Chee-Skon, Wakamika, Misabi, Diamond. Started from Sandy inlet.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 384

Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Glad to hear it worked out!
 Link to this message

ratherbecamping

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did you leave this firewood? If so thank you! It was needed to dry out our wet footwear! Misabi was definitely a beautiful Lake with great swimming, I'm glad we made the trek.

Link to this message

ratherbecamping

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cloudy but beautiful nonetheless...

Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any fishing !!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home