Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * The Golden Staircase? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

lightwghtpddlr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A friend of mine has suggested we paddle the region called "The Golden Staircase" and has mentioned the name Temagami. Beginning around August 15th, could you suggest a loop with put-in at a safe place to leave the car? We have a lightweight swift canoe so it isn't really suitable for whitewater. We also have lots of time and would like to go for 2-3wks. Where can we buy detailed maps for the area? Thank you for helping us to get started.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1558

Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Golden Staircase is a historic name for one waterfall out of six on the South and North channels of the Lady Evelyn River upstream of Sucker Gut Lake. The area is more commonly called the Trout Streams. Here's the South Channel map:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/south-channel1.htm

A great planning map is the FOT map.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/12/FOTmap.htm

Many folks put in at Mowat's Landing on the Montreal River, but you could also use Sandy Inlet on Lake Temagami. A different approach would be to put in at Chance Lake and go downstream first, then return upstream. A variation would be to go up the Gray's River and through Makobe and Trethewey lakes at the end. Since you appear to be a lightweight paddler none of the portages should be an issue, though they will be rugged on the channels. It the magnificent heart of Temagami. This is all in Hap Wilson's book.

Hap's guidebook is highly recommended.

But you should travel with the 1:50,000s.

Link to this message

lightwghtpddlr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you very much. I hope this helps others that have heard of The Golden Staircase but don't know where it is. This will definitely get us started!
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

as you will see when you examine the routes your trip is more or less infinitely expandable... so if you can swing 3 weeks i'd definitely go for it. in 3 weeks you could go all the way... maple mountain, trout streams, gamble to sunnywater/smoothwater, ishpatina ridge, solace lakes, florence lake...
you won't regret it...
 Link to this message

lightwghtpddlr

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We have the extra time so will look into your suggestion. Are water levels a problem in late August early September? Also so you happen to know the per person fee for camping in this area? I was just looking into the guidebook and maps today.
Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1251

Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 7:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

For permit fees in Provincial Parks you will have to go to www.ontarioparks.com , download the Fees page and look for the section on Temagami area Parks.
I tried a few minutes ago and it would not download…. a typical Sunday morning problem with Government websites.Try later today.
 Link to this message

lightwghtpddlr

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you. It's very kind of all of you who post all this wonderful information on this website. After perusing ottertooth.com we've decided to leave in September when there are fewer folks, fewer bugs and less motorboats. Cheerio.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home