Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Water levels on the South Lady Evelyn? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tumpline

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm new here, am impressed with the amount of helpful information that can be found in these forums.

From reading Hap's book, I assumed that the South Lady Evelyn (from Whitemud lake to the Florence River) would not be navigable by early August. However, from doing some searching in this forum, seems like some people have done this, without too much trouble (although some walking/dragging was necessary). Does anyone have information on what conditions on the South Lady Evelyn might be like in the first week of August? Are water levels a bit higher this year?

I'm thinking about routes for the first week of August, would love to see Ishpatina ridge, the Solace lake region and Florence Lake, the South Lady Evelyn would make it possible to do this as a loop.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1249

Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You could go into Smoothwater and travel south to Scarecrow for Isphatina then south to the Sturgeon River and into Solace and then Florence. Go north out of Florence to the North Lady Evelyn River and either cross over to Smoothwater from Gamble or go north to Kaa and then south through Barr, Wabun etc to Smoothwater or continue on the North Lady Evelyn to Beauty Lake. On the way in stash a bike at Beauty Lake and use it to take you over to the put in north of Smoothwater where you left your vehicle . Just a thought, depending on how much time you have.
 Link to this message

tumpline

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the suggestion. We've only got 8-9 days, so I think that's too ambitious, though love the bike idea. Would still be worried about water levels though - Hap says that both the South Lady Evelyn from Whitemud to Florence and the upper Lady Evelyn from Beauty Lake to Gamble aren't navigable in the summer?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i would second what ed says, if you want to see the spots you mentioned. we have done it (beauty lake road -smoothwater, ishpatina, sturgeon, solace, north ler, gamble, sunnywater, smoothwater & out) easily in 8 days, double portaging.
as for the apex- florence river route, i understand people have done it in the summer recently but it wasn't that easy and when all is said and done might not be much of a shortcut.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1562

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Right now, if it is passable, it would be touch and go, but only if you don't mind some tough slogging. The worst would be the muddy section just downstream of Whitemud. That could be insurmoutable. If you can get through that, everything else would be just muscle power. But today you don't know what the water will be like in August. However, as you said, it has been done before in what appears to be similar water. It certainly is pristine and secluded back there.
 Link to this message

tumpline

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone. I've ruled out Apex-Florence, based on comments here and the water level data on the Environment Canada gauges, water levels don't look high.

But I just noticed that the Beauty Lake road continues as far south as Gamble Lake and the Lady Evelyn River gate. Is this part of the road reasonably passable? Anyone know where I could get information on the condition of the road?

I am considering either the Gamble-Sunnywater route, or up through Kaa, but we'll have two cars so a shuttle would be possible if the road was actually drivable.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1564

Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The road is very passable this year. It becomes narrow at the park boundary but it is still in good shape.
 Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, August 5, 2013 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In Sept 2011 I did the Apex to Florence route down the South Lady E. Water levels were low and it was 10 hours of mostly man hauling the loaded canoe. Early on its a detritus bottom too shallow to paddle so lining from shore. Later on its a gravel bottom but many areas with just an inch or two of water. Lots of logs and sinkholes. Very strenuous but rewarding when done. Allows for a good loop. Not sure I would do it again except in the spring.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home