Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Ishpatina ridge < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My daughter and I are doing the route from Beauty Lake road down to scarecrow and hiking to the ridge. How is the parking at the this access point? and any idea what the water levels are like? We are heading out the first week of August
thanx
jim
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ample parking when i was there in august, i wouldn't anticipate it ever being a problem. i understand water levels are high but in any case they have little impact on your proposed route.
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanx! from toronto 6 hour drive to put in?
 Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes..Approx.. 6 hours !!
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you..............again!
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Getting packed up to head out soon, we are starting tuesday morning and finishing up sat morning, hopefully we won't run into many people.
I believe I will need a permit? where can I get one? New Liskard? and some better maps?
thanx
jim
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I guess i could go to Temagami Outfitting?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 441

Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami Outfitting is closed this season. You can still get permits at Ontario Parks' office at Finlayson Park in Temagami, at Smoothwater Outfitters, or at Wilderness Dreams.
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's weird, I just called and they said they are open? I specifically asked what time on tuesday and they said 8 am
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 442

Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well that is a recent development. I did hear that it had recently sold and were hoping to be open later this summer.
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well , I will certainly update when I get back!
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 225

Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2013 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

jimdiane: When you get your permit, there should be information about our missing son, Daniel Trask. If not, please be aware and on the lookout. Daniel talked about going to Ishpatina Ridge. Although further than we think he could have travelled, you never know. http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/newsbriefs.htm# ju3
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 4, 2013 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just got up this morning..............turned on my computer and was checking out the news and then went to facebook and I came across your page on Daniel and was going to tell my daughter that we would have to keep an extra eye open for anything out of place on our trip..........then I go to ottertooth and behold is your post here about Daniel.
We will certainly make an extra effort.
jim
 Link to this message

blackdog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 4, 2013 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My wife and I did a loop July 20-27 Gamble, Florence, Solice, Scarecrow, Scarecrow, Smoothwater,Gamble. We didn't see a soul for most of our trip except for the section from Scarecrow to Smoothwater, water levels were great and the portages decent.
The Beauty Lake/Liskeard Lumber/Gamble Lake Road system appeared to have recently been graded when we drove up. So all I can say is the first 12.5 kilometers for you were good two weeks ago.
 Link to this message

jimdiane

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We just got back, had to cut the trip by a day due to work but we had a great time.We had big winds on Smoothwater on tuesday and stayed at the small site on the west point(had a brand new thunderbox!)Loads of blueberries everywhere!
Wed morning we woke up to rain and paddles for 5 hours in hard rain,decided to stop at McCulloch Lake and dry off.........we ended up staying the night due to more rain. We got up the next morning and decided we would have to head back to Smoothwater(would have to get to the ridge another time!) and we had a beautiful day paddling back and stayed on the east shore beach site, very nice, very well used........no thunderbox? and alot of memorials on trees?
We relaxed there and I celebrated my 50th birthday on the site with my daughter collecting rocks......does not get better than that. The next morning we got up to clouds and paddled out to the truck.
We kept our eyes open for anything out of place, the only thing we noticed was a large clear plastic sheet/tarp? that was half buried in behind the only campsite on McCulloch Lake.
jim

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home