Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Late Summer Trip Advice Please < Previous Next >

Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a trip to Temagami, two 50 something couples, leaving second week September five nights; lots of prior canoeing experience in the group but not whitewater competency; happy to portage. Would enjoy some hiking to mix it up. Would be happy to fish if that would work out, but that's not at all main point of trip. All four residents of US; two of us Cdn citizens. Driving up from Cleveland, OH in sedan or minivan. Two of us were in Chiniguchi several years ago. We would like advice on route/access point, permits and outfitters as well as lodging enroute in North Bay or Temagami. We have Hap's route book and the Temagami Route planning map.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 437

Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you've not yet done the Diamond-Wakimika-Obabika loop, you should. It's #6 in Hap's book. Your timing is perfect. The route is busy in July and August, but less so in September. Make sure you hike the old growth trails at the north end of Obabika Lake.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

assuming price is a consideration, i'd recommend staying the night around north bay, where there is more competition/choice and prices are cheaper. try the old motel strip just south of town on the old highway 11 which runs right along the nippissing shore. you exit the new highway around callander or just past it. if you're lucky you'll get one of the famous sunsets!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1566

Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

For outfitting, there is really only one choice now: Smoothwater Outfitters. You will need overnight permits when you are in Diamond and Wakimika.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/tem_rules.htm

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/parks.htm

Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, August 4, 2013 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am crossposted on myccr and are now interested a loop in the Solace area using the Gervais access on the Sturgeon.

I am going to contact Laurentian U outfitters in Sudbury, Smoothwater and Temgami Outfitters who per Friends of Temagami are remaining open under new ownership and see if we can rent and arrange transport for two canoes.

Would there be water levels that would make that trip inadvisable and if so, when and where should we determine that?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 443

Posted on Sunday, August 4, 2013 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't believe that Smoothwater does shuttles to the Gervais Road, actually spoke with them about that earlier in the summer. It is a LOOOONG drive from Temagami, maybe 5 hours one way. I'd be surprised if TOC does it. I don't know anyone who does shuttles there, not saying there isn't anyone, just that I don't know who might. You'd probably be cheaper to have Lakeland fly you, and that's not cheap.
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Laurentian University Outdoor Center is renting us 17 foot ABS canoes and will shuttle us to the access or let us rent a trailer or put the canoes on cartop with foam blocks for a reasonable fee; the center is quite close to the access point per the Ottertooth map ( 20 min from Capreol). They seem the obvious outfitting chice for this access. Will the road be a problem for our sedan or minivan?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1575

Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are talking about the Gervais Road, it is currently a maintained logging road.
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks, Brian; I think you are affirming that the roads from Sudbury up should be suitable for our vehicle, including the Portelance that comes off the highway N of Capreol and feeds into the Gervais Rd? Do we have to contact the logging company to ascertain traffic on the day of travel or just drive with due caution?
Can you address my earlier question about water levels?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1579

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Always a good idea to contact the loggers to find out what is going on, where and when.

Water will be high enough to do the river, if that is your question. If you are going this month, then the water will stay high enough.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Road all the way to Gervais landing is in good condition, any car can go through. There is logging trucks traffic for the first 25 or 35 km north of Capreol. There is a loading site there right by the road. I haven't seen signs of current logging further north.
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Re water, We are later; will be out sept 11 to 16th
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Again, we are traveling Sept 11 - should get midmorning start; and out Sept 16 again by midam for long drive home to Cleveland; so five nights but only five full days for travel.

Hap says that S Lady Evelyn from Whitemud to Florence R is a spring only route due to water levels; I know that water levels are unusually high this year (but forecast is for sun all week in Sudbury- wish we were out now!) but concerned that we will have an unpleasant slog through the creek if levels fall.

Do we have enough time instead to go further north
Gervais Access, Hamlow all the way to Smoothwater, Sunnywater, Gamble (across 3900 which is said to be in good shape and not difficult aside from length), down N and S Lady Evelyn to Florence and across Solace Park back to access within our time frame?
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Would also want to hike Ishpatina Ridge.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Too much! IMAO anyway. You could try using the loop through Regan Lake, into the Solace and back to your starting point going upstream from Ghoul lake. The loop is plain to see on the Ishpatina map. The Day from Regan to Solace is a long one. But it is beautiful back there. Tooth lake deserves a paddle up and down the cliff if you have the time.
If you wanted, you could do the whole portage from the Sturgeon and up to Hamlow and do the Ishpatina hike and then do the Solace Loop. I would do that in 5 days. Might give you a fishing or rest day...just an idea. Would be a good idea to use a canoe cart on that 3600m portage though. You could always pick up the canoe cart at the end of the trip, just stow it in the bushes.
PT

Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with pierre19, the longer route suggested up through Sunnywater etc is pretty aggressive for 5 days if you also want to hike the Ishpatina. The Whitemud to Florence Lake makes it shorter but it is a whole day by itself. Took me 10 hours in 2011 during a low water year-almost dry-although it could be better this year there are still numerous logs etc. Which ever route you take its nice country.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1581

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I highly recommend using the shorter portage between the Sturgeon and Hamlow, instead of the 3600 m walk on the road. Here's your alternatives:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 5.htm

Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Brian, I did note the choice of routes to Hamlow and the short portage seems the overwhelming best choice.

As I should have in the first place, I have now finally gone through the forums and Ottertooth maps carefully and have among others corrected my prior misconception that it's only an hour to the access in Sudbury (more like 3 according to Ottertooth Ishpatina Road Access comments).

Discussion elsewhere in the forums also suggests that the S Lady Evelyn from Whitemud to Florence is liable to be a slog and not really appropriate for this time of year; Rossclan echoes this above as well; we might give it a miss. We may still try the northern loop route or just hike up Ishpatina then explore Solace Park and to Florence and back instead which will be more flexible.

Laurentian University staff member Jean 705-675-1151 x1023 is very responsive but they do not sell permits; they do rent Eureka and Sealine packs as well as the ABS canoes. I will also call Opy's in Capreol.

I have a call in to Finlayson Point to see if they can take payment and send us permits electronically or by mail.

So excited I can taste it.
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, I was referring to the portage from Sunnywater to Gamble in my Sat noon post, not the Sturgeon Hamlow.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ABS canoes are heavy beasts and you are looking at some hilly portages in Solace. If you are not running anything above class 2 you might be well served by Kevlar. Algonquin outfitters have a well-stocked store west of Algonquin, somewhere close to Toronto-Sudbury highway. Also Sportsmans lodge on Kukagami lake has Scotts kevlar boats. It might add couple of hours to your driving, but will pay off on the trail.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 1:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i agree with above warnings, 5 days just isn't close to enough time to do gervais to ishpatina, smoothwater-gamble, florence & solace!! unless you are all olympic-level marathoners and planning 12-hour days...
last time i did that route (from beauty lake road) it took us 8 days with 2 nights on florence.
many of the portages on that route are extremely strenuous even when in good shape and involve steep, prolonged climbs/descents! (smoothwater to gamble, pilgrim to selkirk).
i think pierre19's route is about right for the time you have- better to have enough time to enjoy the spectacular scenery without feeling too rushed...
 Link to this message

uhcmcfm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks to all; we have indeed modified to Pierre19's suggested route as our Olympian days are over . Also, we are now renting kevlar from AO in Huntsville who also rent cartop carriers for 1-3 canoes so necessitating a short detour off our route that will be well worth it for half the weight in canoes.
Finlayson Park would not fax or email permits so mailing to us; didn't want to risk a misadventure at Opy's with no alternatives remaining.
 Link to this message

rbeattie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

FYI - went to Scarecrow L from Gervais access Aug 16-19. Gervais logging rd is in great shape - any potholes have been flagged. Yellow Km markers all the way to river (the Stobie rd turn is at the 32km marker)We did meet two logging trucks coming back at 2pm on Monday - and they don't slow down so beware. It took us just over 1 1/2 hrs one way. Because the river was high and too fast for our first day with dog (it takes a day for him to settle down) we decided to do the trailroad. Long but easy. Met the warden who asked for our permit - I obviously misread that we didn't need them for this route - but you do, even if ontario resident. We got them at the end of our trip at Opy's convenient store in Capreol. Although the warden and some jr rangers did trail maintenance to Ishpatina tower it is very overgrown at the top obstructing any great view. The ladder up the tower has been dismantled. Apparently it is better to wait for when the leaves start turning colour for the wow factor. Lastly, although we had a little trouble finding the portage from Hamlow to Stull creek it is in good shape. BTW we were going to do the 5 day route through Florence, Benner etc and thought better of it - too much, too little time. And very last, thank you Brain for the great maps on this site!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1584

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are welcome.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home