Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Katherine Lake to Ferguson Bay < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scooter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

After a long absence from Temagami, my wife and I are flying in to Katherine Lake for a four day trip to Lady Evelyn - Helen Falls, Centre Falls, Sucker Gut and out at Ferguson Bay.
We are mid sixties and healthy. Fitness levels could be better. I have a couple of questions:
1. Campsite suggestions on Katherine Lake
2. How difficult is the Centre Falls portage given the absence of the old bridge?
3. What is the route from Sucker Gut? Is there a portage from Willow Island Lake to Lady Evelyn or is it necessary to go all the way north through Sucker Gut to Lady Evelyn?
Thanks to all who respond.
 Link to this message

darlh

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 - 9:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

IMHO (disclaimer)
1. Campsite for Katherine Lake, at the narrows south shore
2. Centre falls portage is OK when dry, when the rocks are wet footing can be tricky. I one carry so if you two carry the portages thing may be a bit easier. Watch out for the false trails for the blueberry bushes etc.
3. Willow Island portages are well used and easy to ID, a bit damp if the weather has been wet.

Enjoy your trip,
DjH
 Link to this message

scooter

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks - that is very helpful.

Scott
 Link to this message

scooter

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We fly in to Katherine Lake in two groups - one at 11:00 and one at 2:00. We will spend our first night on Katherine and our first group may be looking for an afternoon activity. Portage into MacPherson? What about Dry Lake although I have to say that the very name "Dry Lake" doesn't sound very inviting.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1570

Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Consider going upstream to Shangri-la and swimming there. Not as far as MacPherson. The reason to go to Dry Lake is to climb the ridge.
 Link to this message

street

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Meter for meter, the Centre Falls portage has always been as tough as they get (don't forget the drop steps on the second half of that portage heading south - be careful). The absence of the bridge has added a degree of difficulty. I no longer solo my canoe down (or up) the area that used to be covered by the bridge - it is too easy to clip an overhang rock and go tumbling. It is not difficult to two-man canoes (or wannigans for that matter) down that part of the trail and resume carrying as normal once you are past it.

There are two portages from Willow Island to Lady E Lake - both well marked on the Hap Wilson maps and not very difficult. I took them last year (which was very dry) and they were in good shape. I expect that both will be wet (boggy) and buggy this year.

I also have paddled up the north tip of Sucker Gut and around that point on north Lady E Lake. When there is a north wind (or flat lake, which is rare), that is a very nice paddle down Lady E Lake (and worth the head wind from Franks Falls north).

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home