Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Pond Lake to Obabika-Propery Conflict on Portage < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dave_s

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just returned from a trip down the Obabika River, and parked off the south end on Pond Lake, at the end of Highway 805. We accessed Obabika Lake at the location detailed on your map, adjacent to Obabika Lodge. On the return journey the owner of the lodge confronted us in a fairly aggressive manner, threatened to call the police, and attempted to bar us from using the portage (He complained about all of the people crashing through there in the middle of the night). It was a bit of an unfortunate experience and put a bit of a damper on our return journey. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience with that portage with regards to the private property at Obabika Lodge, or with this individual in particular. The portage does come quite close to one of his cabins, but he has not made any attempt to put up a fence or a sign, which would lead me to believe that it does not in fact cross his property as he alleged.
 Link to this message

nicoleg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am not familiar with that area - however you can check the crown land use atlas by launching the map browser at:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LUEPS/2Column SubPage/STDU_137972.html
 Link to this message

fletch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was camping up there this past weekend. As this was my first time in Temagami I was a little lost in finding the portage marked on the maps I referenced on this site. We apparently took the much longer (1400m or so) former truck portage. The landing was quite well marked. I wondered as we walked along that we should end up on the left side of the lodge. There were signs on the lodge access road that indicated that we were on the right portage route, including a sign down the road that said (with an arrow) "Canoe Route". We ended up on the right side of the lodge. On our return trip, we passed the other side of the lodge and couldn't see any portage route. (must be well hidden!) We encountered some people from the lodge and there were no problems. (smile and wave type thing) Other than the longer length, it seemed to be a good trail that was well maintained.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1569

Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You would not likely have run into the owner of the lodge. He is an extremely wealthy American who is rarely there. You probably saw the caretaker.

You can overshoot when coming from the south and end up on the property. I heard of that happening once. However, the owner seems to have made no effort to sign it so people don't end up in the wrong place.
 Link to this message

dave_s

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. Fletch-The portage on the west side of the lodge is not well marked at all, seems easy to miss for sure. The guy from the lodge 'encouraged' us to use the portage that you used, but we had no info about it so I wasn't keen to try it out.Brian-I did find it strange that no effort has been made to mark the portage, I guess they really hope that by having the other one well marked that people will use it. I'm pretty sure we didn't overshoot the portage, although it is possible. In your experience does it pass quite close to the cabin on the far west side of the property?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1573

Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You can see a cabin through the trees if you look for it. As long as you are on Crown land you have a right to be there.

It should be noted there is an historical portage across the middle of the property (along the same route as the old truck portage) and the new trail was put there as a courtesy to the owners. The long trail to the east is not the old portage, but a hashing together of the second truck portage and a logging road, which is why it is so long. It was marked by a cottager east of the lodge who had people drive up to his property and portage through it.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1609

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The lodge has put a rope and signs across the portage at the property line. If you are heading north on the portage, take a sharp left at the signs/rope and follow the short trail to the lake.

If you are traveling south, the trail starts just west of the property. Do not land at the beach or any of the docks. It is private property.

Given my earlier points about the history of the portage, I don't want to sound as if I am encouraging anyone to portage across the lodge property. Use the trail on the west side. Here's a map:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm

This is a remote lodge where seclusion is sought, which, as backcountry travelers, we understand. So it does not offer normal lodge services like a restaurant.

These folks have helped canoeists in stress in the past and will be there in the future. We should show our gratitude by respecting their privacy.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home