Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Gamble to Bluesucker < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rachael

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello, I hope everyone's having a wonderful summer. I've been researching for my next trip and I have a couple questions. Is Beauty Lake Road shut at Gamble or can I go all the way down to Chance or Chalice to avoid the rapids? Also, we'll be leaving August 17th and staying for 8 days. Does anyone know about the water levels coming down the North Lady Evelyn and South Lady Evelyn going from Dees Lake down through Duff and into Florence? I've read about the potential wading we'll have to do going into Bluesucker, but am unsure of any issues north of Florence.

Any help would be very much appreciated, normally I'd just chance it but we're taking my 4 month old puppy on her first real canoe trip so I want to know what we're in for! Thanks everyone!
 Link to this message

blackdog

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 9, 2013 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rachael

My wife and I canoed Gamble, Florence, Bluesucker, Solace, Scarecrow, Smoothwater back to Gamble from July 20 to 26, It hasnít stopped raining so my guess is that you should be good.

After studying the maps and doing some reading we decided to start at Gamble Lake and paddle down the Lady Evelyn River into Florence Lake etc. My thinking was that I did not want to do the 3.9 km portage to Junction Lake fully loaded. I did not take notes so this is by memory.

Saturday July 20 we left Sault Ste. Marie at around 8 am, travelled to Sudbury then up Hwy 144 then east on Hwy 560 to the Beauty Lake Road. The Beauty Lake Road/Liskeard Lumber Road /Gamble Lake Road was in good shape and appeared to have recently been graded, newer gravel seems to have been put down from the highway all the way to 4 km before the Gamble Lake access (we met a Toyota Corola on our way out), total distance from the highway was about 35kms. (We went to check out the Chance Lake access, if we were correct it looked quite wet so we decided to go back to Gamble) We launched our canoe at 5:30 and paddled down river to the first campsite just south of Chance Lake. We floated down the three gravel chutes - a few scratches on the new canoe but no real issues.

Sunday, we packed up paddled down the Lady Evelyn River (no issues lots of water), up the South Lady Evelyn (no issues lots of water and current), up the Florence River (no issues Ė less water and current but passable) visited the old cabin at the lift over on Florence Lake then set up camp on the rock point west side of Florence Lake. Saw three red canoes westbound along the south shore of Florence.

Monday, packed up did the three portages to Bluesucker Lake and had lunch, these were the worst portages of our trip, one portage (I believe the 1450m) had several trees fallen across the path at various locations. After lunch we continued across Benner, Rodd, Pilgrim, Maggie, Bill, and Samson then finally set up camp on the island south of the portage on Solace Lake, this campsite is infested with red ants, our dog hated it and stayed in our canoe then moved to the tent once it was set up. Most of the portages on this day are quite crowded with low growing shrubs etc. at times making it difficult to see where you are walking. Saw three red canoes on an island north of our campsite on Solace.

Tuesday, woke up to the sound of logging equipment, packed up crossed Einar, Biscuit, Broadbent, Carrying Barr, Tooth, and Melanson then had lunch on Regan Lake (we did the 1100m portage on the old logging roads from Melanson - walk the old logging road hang a right when you get to a T intersection the map says another 150 but I thought it felt more like 250 then left down to Regan, no issues). After lunch we took the south portage (670m) to Hamlow (portage was on the left look for old yellow flagging tape near the end of the lake portage 60 or more meters to an old logging road hang a right, you will come to an open area at a bigger logging road, hang a right 20 or so meters then left down to Hamlow), lined the riffles in Scarecrow Creek and headed for the island on Scarecrow Lake. That campsite was occupied so we back tracked and camped on the site at the north east end of Woods Lake. The portages today were quite similar to those yesterday.

Wednesday, saw a canoe southbound on Woods Lake as we were packing up, headed over to the island on Scarecrow Lake set up camp then climbed Ishpatina. The trail up the mountain was in good shape.

Thursday, packed up and worked our way to Smoothwater Lake. We met three different youth groups along the way, portages are good and used. We planned on camping on the beach but when we rounded the corner saw boats, people and dogs so we camped on the island.

Friday, we packed up, our plan was to have an easy day and stop at Sunnywater Lake then decide on our route out for Saturday. The skies were black and mosquitoes thick so we decided to move on. At Junction Lake we decided to do the 3.9 km portage back to Gamble. This was because we didnít want to walk the 4 or 5 kms down the Gamble Lake Road from Kaa Lake to our vehicle. We were so happy that we didnít start our trip with this portage as the first kilometer was all downhill, this portage is in good shape and appears to be well used. We arrived at our truck after five, loaded and headed home arriving at 2:30 am.

All in all this was a very good trip and I would recommend it to anyone, what a beautiful part of our province. I would however add a few or three days to the trip next time!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1576

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As the map shows, the road (and it is very usable for cars) is open to Chance Lake. Best place to put in if you are heading to Florence.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/gamble-acc ess-map-b.htm
 Link to this message

rachael

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you for your trip report, Blackdog. It sounds like you and your wife had an amazing time. I laughed when I read about your experience at Solace. I feel for your pup; the ants tortured us last year too. They're horrible little buggers on any day, but especially irritating at the end of a long day of paddling when all you want to do is relax. Thanks for bringing back those fond memories lol :-) You mentioned the current was still good on the Lady Evelyn, my husband and I intend on paddling in then back out the same way we came as we often do, we're used to paddling up river but the current too strong to do that? Even at this time of year?

Thank you for the map, Brian. I had been receiving conflicted information about the put in so I appreciate the clarification!
 Link to this message

blackdog

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There was enough water on July 20th to paddle up the south branch without any real issues. I donít know what the weather has been like in the Temagami area since then but the water levels here in Sault Ste. Marie are now higher than they were three weeks ago. We paddle a Wenonah Minnesota II ultra-light, this was its maiden voyage, it didnít handle the tight corners as well as our old cedar strip but then, it is 18.5 feet long and wasnít built for rivers! Iím pretty sure we had to lift over at least two small beaver dams, this was in the section before the old bridge.

Hope this helps.
 Link to this message

rachael

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

LOL Fantastic, thank you again, Blackdog! It absolutely helps.
 Link to this message

rachael

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry, one last thing, I promise! Does anyone know what Skooztawgan lake is like right now? Is it really a mud pit even with the current relatively good water levels?

(Message edited by rachael on August 14, 2013)
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 445

Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Educated guess.... mudpit. It is only navigable in the spring. However, if you are experienced trippers, you don't need to avoid Skooztawgan. Just budget more time. And start your portage early, rather than thinking "We can paddle just a little bit further through this muck."
 Link to this message

rachael

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great, thanks curly!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home