Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Chiniguchi first trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

davea

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good morning, I am planning to do the Wolf-Laura-Evelyn loop, accessing at Matagainasi.
This is my first trip into Chiniguchi. My plans are to start either Thursday or Friday before the Labour day weekend, and take 4 or 5 days to do the loop.
I saw a warning here that Wolf lake can be busy in the summer. Is it likely that I will have problems finding campsites on Wolf and McConnell bay for my first 2 night?
Also I assume the stretch down from Laura is less travelled (I hope so anyway) Any recommendations for campsites on this part of the loop?
Any other recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1252

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The traffic through Wolf Lake last week was unbelievable. But it was mostly canoe camps and by Labour Day weekend that will all be gone so if you leave before the weekend you should be OK.
I would try to clear Matagamasi by early Friday morning and stay on Wolf, a beautiful lake , for Friday and move on to Mcconnell Bay area on Chinguchi Lake on Saturday.
 Link to this message

davea

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed, yes my plan is to be there early Friday , or possibly Thursday morning. I have found a couple of good trip reports on myccr that mention good campsites on Wessel and Evelyn. Any tips for that leg of the route? Also I assume permits are still not required?
Thanks again,
Dave
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1253

Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Most of the campsites are shown here:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini6.ht m
Chiniguchi is a non operating park. No permits required at present.
 Link to this message

nicoleg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

same here - first time'er in chiniguchi. does anyone know about the access at "goulard lumber" as indicated on the map: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini6.ht m ?

or are we better off using the MTO gravel pit?
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you click on words "Goulard Lumber" it opens a page with Chiniguchi access points description. I haven't been to the Matagamasi landing; the gravel pit in May was exactly as described on this page.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1259

Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2013 - 6:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

nicoleg:
The access point described as a Goulard Lumber camp is now a series of cottages with a public access road to the water. Parking is limited and usually filled to overcapacity creating stress with the local cottagers. You could get Sportsman's lodge to shuttle you over there and pick you up at a predetermined time or use the gravel pit access described by eddy_turn, a safer place to park.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home