Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Twinkle lake access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 68

Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While the bridge across the Obabika river is marked closed, you can take all the risk of bridge collapse and use it anyway by simply moving the barriers aside momentarily.

However, currently the bridge across Plum creek is also blocked and completely unusable.

The word on the street is that the road is being upgraded all the way to Bull lake! I guess it will make for easy access to Yorston etc in the future. I noticed this past weekend that the road west of Lower Goose has been upgraded quite a bit in the last couple of years. I noticed it while fruitlessly trying to find a back way to Yorston. Is this a Wolf Lake access point? It's marked NO ACCESS with heavy fines etc associated.
PT
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1582

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The bridge work is likely preparation for upgrading the road to Bull. Curly can confirm the Bull Lake road plans.

Off Lower Goose Road, since it was signed, I think you may have noticed a road used for local logging, not a road to Wolf Lake. There has been ongoing logging in this area northeast of Matagamasi for years and vehicle access is supposed to be restricted.
 Link to this message

ashbylaker

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was going to cross the Obabika bridge last week, however I would only advise it with a quad or very narrow 4x4. The bridge itself is totally fine, but there is a washout hole about 6' across - and encroaching across the road now - on the left side, looking north. I had a van up there, but even with my pathfinder I would NOT attempt it. If the washout moved below you, your vehicle would wind up tail end in the Obabika! Not recommended. Had to put in south end of Obabika Lake and make the trek across Misabi with full packs - was a good time...
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 387

Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So we all know:

the Twinkle Lk access straddles an MNR established - Intergrated/Special Management Area Boundary,

the Twinkle Lk access was brushed out and announced to the broader canoe audience five or more yrs. ago,

the last two or more kms to Twinkle Lk have become too crowded with forest re-growth,

The bridge over the Obabika River is out, pending repairs to the road - estimated to Bull Lk to allow better egress to the Solace Wildlands for forestry purposes.

Any questions?
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Couple questions:

Last I heard, there was to be an access control point established where the road crosses Ames Creek. Has there been any changes to this? Have any provissions for a parking area been requested?

Also, the upgraded road was to cross the Yorston and Pilgrim through previously un-roaded areas. Any updates, changes or timelines?

Chris
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1257

Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2013 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It was in this years AWS and has been in previous AWS's, but so far nothing has been done. MNR is aware of the canoe route going from Twinkle to Ames Creek and have been asked to provide access if the road does get put through.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 448

Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2013 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The route in question is an approved primary road corridor in the Sudbury 2010-2020 Forest Management Plan. This travels from Clary Twp, north to Seagram Twp, then west to Turner, Marconi and Selkirk. There is a Term 2 block in Clary Twp (i.e. to be logged in 2015-2020). The planning for Term 2 should be beginning around now and will proceed for the next 18 months or so. Contact MNR Sudbury for more info on this.

There are contingency blocks in Turner, Marconi and Seagram Twps, in other words, the Solace Wildlands - the area roughly between the Yorston R, Sturgeon R and Solace PP. Contingency blocks are kind of like the on-deck batter in baseball. They might be pressed into harvest if something makes another planned block inoperable (e.g. a forest fire or other unforeseen circumstances). If that doesn't happen, then they usually come up for logging in the next plan, 2020-2030 in this case.

I have heard rumours that some (probably forest industry types) are trying to reopen the idea of a new bridge over the Sturgeon River in Marconi Twp to access the Solace Wildlands. This would make the drive much shorter than the current approved primary road corridor. At this point though, it's only rumours. The Friends of Temagami opposed this during the planning for the 2010 FMP and the shelving of the proposal was a major victory.

There is a proposed access control where the road will cross Ames Creek. I believe the plan is also to cross the Yorston at Talking Falls, as well as to cross the Solace Creek canoe route twice.

Brian asked me to confirm plans on the "Bull Lake Road." He might have used the wrong name, the corridor I describe above will be called the Turner Road. I am unaware of a Bull Lake Road.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1586

Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2013 - 6:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was thinking of the southern route under Yorston Lake on existing roads. No new corridors need be built to upgrade and re-open this road.
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 134

Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2013 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The AWS shows it, perhaps it's being upgraded - any allocations that way?

Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know if the above mentioned bridge repairs were completed last fall? There was also discussion that much of the road was going to be upgraded...does anyone know when? I am trying to plan a trip for the end of May and I am wondering if the Twinkle Lake access will be open or not. Naturally I would hate to get there and find that it is closed due to construction. Any updates on the status of the road would be greatly appreciated!
 Link to this message

debaz525

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bridge @ Obabika River was never repaired last fall. It will probably get worst this spring with high waters.... unsure of when it will be repaired yet.
 Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your reply debaz. I will eliminate Twinkle Lake from the list of potential access points for this year. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the road to open up again!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1268

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gibson:
You could ask Tim Lehman, Sudbury Area Forester, if the bridge will be repaired in 2014. (705-564-7875).
There does not appear to be any allocations in the area north of Yorston, so it may be that the bridge will stay the way it is for a period of time.
 Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the contact Ed...I will give Mr Lehman a call and report back.
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone have any updated information about the Twinkle Access? I'm looking into a late May trip using Twinkle as the access point. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Spoke to Mr. Lehman. He didn't have an update beyond what was known last fall. He suggested a call to the North Bay office as the area in question is in their coverage territory. I'll try that this afternoon. Will try to post an update.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home