Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Matabitchuan River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2013 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. New to the forums. I searched the topics regarding the Matabitchuan and found some good info already. What I am looking for is a bit more information on the rapids on the river. Can they all be portaged around? I would call myself an Advanced Novice paddler but have no white-water or fast-water experience, other than bump and grind down the Mattawa River in a plastic boat. Most of what I see on maps is "run or line" so it would be comforting to know if a portage is an option. I have seen the river where it empties into Fourbass and it seems a bit scary to me. Maxam, Glasford, Cooper going in both directions would be the safe alternative. Any helpful information is appreciated.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1261

Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2013 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't been down /up there for a while, but you can portage around any rapids on the Matabitchuan.
Check Wilson's book or look at the Friends of Temagami Adventure Planning Map for recent information.
 Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the quick response ed. I have both the Temagami Canoe Routes Planning Map and Hap Wilson's "Canoeing, Kayaking & Hiking Temagami". These are a few years old however and I have seen references to newer versions since reading some of the forums. Perhaps I will check for updates.

The planning map I have shows a portage at the dam at the beginning of the river out of Rabbit Lake, and another one not too much further on at the "Matabitchuan Chutes". All the rest of the rapids along the river do not show a portage.

In Hap's description (the book I have) and map of the Route #10 he states the same thing. A portage around the Dam and the Chutes and then "Run or Line" for all the rest.

In order for me to take the loop, I will need to know if the other rapids/shallow areas indeed have portages, not just a Run or Line option. I don't want to make it halfway through and come across a section I could not navigate. I would prefer to do the loop rather than take the Maxam/Cooper route both ways, but that is not a stumbling block for me. I'd be glad to take the longer option if necessary. Safety First!
\
Thanks, Don
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2013 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

to the best of my recollection (about 4 yrs ago), those "rapids" are really nothing to be concerned about. the river is very shallow and "lining" (except maybe in early spring) really means guiding the canoe in calf-deep water. portages would be redundant.
very pretty though especially as you approach 4bass, with at least 1 excellent campsite on the river.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1262

Posted on Monday, September 9, 2013 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry, I didn't read your initial post correctly. I took the Cooper, Maxam, Burwash route into Rabbit. I was travelling upstream from Four Bass.
It was in late September, water levels were low, but I didn't relish the idea of walking the river as the temperatures were cool. As it turned out we got wet feet going the other longer route, so it didn't matter.

I would check out the river entrance at Four Bass and then decide if the flow is suitable for upstream lining/walking.

I notice that the Friends of Temagami map is showing a ~1000m portage around the rapids below the Rabbit Lake dam using a bush road.This particular route also shows up on the Craig MacDonald map as a Nastawgan route.

Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2013 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks grncnu. Interesting, I pictured the river as being larger with lots of water. If I go it will be in late July next year. Unless there is an exceptional amount of rain at that time it sounds like it may be the way to go. I'd rather do the loop to Fourbass and back. And I'm not by myself. There will be another three or four in our small group. I still have lots of time to gather information. Others may have more incite.
 Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2013 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ed, I didn't know about the Friends of Temagami map, thanks for mentioning it. Checked it out online and I will definitely pick one up. Looks like a real good map. Haven't looked at Nastawgan yet. So much to look at here on Ottertooth.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2013 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yeah, i'd assume the 1000m portage/nastawgan ed mentioned dates back to pre-dam days, when the matabitchuan was THE route to temagami from lake temiscaming, and maybe is still used in early spring.
 Link to this message

dupuisn

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My husband and I hiked along the Matabitchuan this spring on a week long hike of the temiskaming highland trails. The river was the highest it has ever been, even flooded, according to the experts on the trail with us. I remember the waters raging thinking it would be fun to run. The guide of our hike is one of the founders of this trail and knows the area extensively. I'm sure he would be of help and can be contacted on the Temiskaming highland trails website. If you are not able to contact him, let me know and I will find his phone number for you.
 Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

dupuisn, would that hike be between Rabbit Lake and Fourbass lake, or down stream of Fourbass?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i'm guessing it would be downstream of fourbass as that lake is quite a ways from temiscaming. here's what the upper section looks like a ways upstream of fourbass:

Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Keep the info coming. Any information is greatly appreciated. I'm starting to guess it isn't the 'raging river' I was imagining.
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did the Matabitchuan River at the end of July this summer. We started at Glasford L,then to Maxam, Rabbit, Matabitchuan, Fourbass, Cooper and back to Glasford. The river section between Rabbit and Fourbass was easy. The river is not a wide fast flowing river, but a narrow slow relaxing river except for the 3 rocky swifts. All 3 swifts when we did it can be lined but we just walked or canoed parts (more like bump and grind) down them.

The river is controlled by the Rabbit Lake Dam so things could vary but I wouldn't let that worry you. Using the Friends of Temagami Adventure Planning Map, start by portaging around the dam, then portage around the Rabbit Chute (short but steep put in). A short paddle will bring you to your first rocky swift. I did not look for a portage as we were gonna walk/run it anyways. We had 4 kevlar canoes. Short paddle then the next rocky swift and didn't bother looking for a portage either. Canoe past the campsites and at the last rocky swift, 2 canoes portaged (under 300M) and 2 ran/walked. Past the pictograph site on the map, it said "line" but there was nothing to line, so we paddled the scenic stretch of the river all the way to Fourbass.

Great little trip!!
 Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That really helps with the planning of our trip, thanks lost_canoe, and to all the others. (keep it coming if there is any more to add)

Barely in the early planning stages right now I'm thinking of putting in at the bottom of Rabbit, Matabitchuan, Fourbass. My brother has a camp on Fourbass and we would meet up with him and spend 3 nights at the camp. Let him chauffeur us around the lake in his boat fishing. Ahhh a real hard canoe trip with bunk beds, running water, refrigerators, cook stove etc;etc;

Then return through Copper, Maxim, Rabbit. Just to make it a week trip, probably one night on the river or on Fourbass before going to the camp, and then another night on Maxim perhaps.
 Link to this message

limacharley

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've hunted and fished extensively in that area; Rabbit, Glasford, Matabitchuan, Fourbass, Cooper..etc. the river is a slow flow with definite portages at Rabbit Chute (where the rolling bridge is) and farther downstream as you approach the Fourbass water. There are fantastic campsites on the river , in particular one where a peninsula jutes out in the river. It looks like a clearing somewhat. Moose hunters usually make a fire there to warm up.
Just curious but which camp does your brother own on Fourbass. I was trying to buy Harold Young's place but it looks like he left it to his kids.
 Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great information limacharley, thanks. I figured there might be some query about the camp if I mentioned it. Having been there only twice the best I can describe its location would be looking at the bottom section of the lake, south of the dam, with the island in the middle making it more or less a triangle, then the camp is in the upper left point of the triangle.

My brother (just one of the group) and his hunting buddies have been hunting/fishing there for 25 years or more now.
 Link to this message

hape2canu

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2013 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

limacharley, my brother says to mention "Kenny Decker". If you know Harold Young, then you probably know where Kenny's camp is.
 Link to this message

limacharley

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ah yes. The firefighters camp.
I've paddled many waters and stopped in at lots of camps and that one is the only one I've ever seen an ice house still in use.
Congrats to them.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home